Ghosts In The Groot Rivier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to brag, but in the valley, most men have "Groot dorings."

Lekka RR, the Stytlerville side is really going to the dogs lately, not that I'm complaining.

groot76.jpg

By now, it was raining quite hard...but...I wanted to ride to Sabo’s farm in Elands River to collect my 950. My butt was sore and I wanted the 950 back in my garage at home. So...I rode from Uitenhage all the way back to his farm in the rain. Full circle. Back where the trip began. The idea was to stay for a braai and ride home a bit later.  I braved the slippery clay road into the Elands and then down to his farm at the river. This is the view from his Deck.

groot77.jpg

groot78.jpg

690 parked on Sabo’s wet lawn.

groot79.jpg

Side view of his simple but beautiful home on the river.

groot80.jpg

It was very wet now, and I had to take the 950 up his farm road (steep) and down 3 km’s of the Elands road (clay) to get to the tar. All of this was treacherous in the wet.

groot81.jpg

I found Sabo had stashed the 950 in his shed, along with bags of cement, wheelbarrows, an old checkers cart (WTF) and other demeaning stuff. I’m sure she was glad to see me!

groot82.jpg

groot85.jpg

I’d sent Sabo off to the bottle store at Rocklands to pick up a few pints, and he was up the slippery clay road and back like a rat up a drain pipe in his li’ll Run-X.

groot84.jpg

Sabo is one of my best friends. We have known each other since 12. He was a SA waterpolo and swimming champ and a navy seal. Sure, he’s filled out a bit, but he’s training for the Iron man next year, and swims 10’ks a day (seriously)

groot86.jpg

After a few pints, it was time for me to leave. I tried to convince my wife that it was pouring with rain, and that I needed to have a sleepover and braai with Sabo, but she saw through my cunning plan and ordered me huis toe

I took the 950 up through the clay and mud and rain through the many gates back to the Elands road

groot87.jpg

groot88.jpg

groot89.jpg

Fluit fluit my storie is uit. What a wonderful day out.  I covered 319.2km in some of the most beautiful and haunting scenery in SA, and got home at 6pm, tired and happy. I had a few beers with my best mate, and got my beloved 950 home to be with her family.

Next time, I’ll have to go and fetch the 690 and tackle the secret 4x4 track over the mountains into the Baviaans (not the normal route, but something far more challenging)

Someone asked the other day if the poort is do-able on a GSA, and the answer is yes - easy peasy. Just on the rocky bits, give it a bit of gas and aim right up. I really don't think it should be an issue for anyone.

Funny - my wife was speaking to a KTM rider at the home maker's fair on Saturday (a guy I know) and he advised that bikers should NEVER ride solo. Especially where there are little or no vehicles and no cell phone signal. That's what it was like in the poort. What you gays think?

Not a gay  :pot:,but I think solo is ok ,not for all ,depending on you riding skills and knowledge to do repairs on your bike.
The same is said for 4x4ing ,and I have done solo my whole life with 4x4ing in the most remote areas and always came out of it ok for the last 38 odd years.
Very nice RR JDog. :thumleft:
Now to get my biking skills up to scratch  :-[

Nice one J-dog! There's a real sense of enjoyment in your writing, which is what it's all about, I guess. :thumleft: :thumleft:

It was only a day out, but when I got back, the stress of the week had dropped away. I don't recall the moment it happened - perhaps it was a gradual melting. Thinking back to Saturday, the 10 hours I was away now feels like a full week. Just shows that the type of R&R is more important than the lenght of it.

One day when I grow up and have a certificate, I want to do this ride. Just got to find someone brave enough to do it with me?  :female:

Shot Jdog! lekker RR I see you have the best of two worlds with the 690 & 950 Adv which do you prefer?