Gorillas in da Mist and the Mud Monster (Katberg)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeff Cowboy

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Part 1

I felt like a weekend away and a quick decision was made on Friday morning to go to the Katberg Spa  and while there ride all the gravel possible.

I contacted Mamba and Fugly. Fugly organized the accommodation. The rest was organized over a few drinks at our weekly Wilddog gathering. If you feel left out, you should attend drinks. All good rides starts at drinks.

The Route
Route.jpg

So Saturday morning we met at the Blue Water Bay Spar all packed. No wind and sunny. Lekker.

1.jpg

Mamba was so excited about the gravel he did a gravel dance. Fugly deflating tyres like normal people would do.
2.jpg

Zumo my new best friend. Its bit dangerous because you will soon find yourself scrolling the map while riding.
3.jpg

Beautiful gravel!!
4.jpg

3 Brave souls. Fugly, Captain and Mamba.
5.jpg

Mamba doing a homeboy gangster move or so he says…. I think its crabs…
6.jpg

Look ma!! No eyes on the road.
7.jpg

Me enjoying myself.
8.jpg

The Great Fish River
9.jpg
10.jpg

Suspicious clouds on our way to Bedford.
11.jpg

Me taking a piss. Check out the cows. LoL
12.jpg

The bull got upset because I was harassing the cows.
13.jpg

Me in a weird pose…
14.jpg

Filling up in Bedford and its very wet. According to weather reports it was supposed to be dry.
15.jpg

Between Bedford and Adelaide. Lost with two Zumos.
16.jpg

Ahh Katberg. A good sign.
17.jpg
18.jpg

Looks just like Scotland. Katberg is beautiful. Honeymoon heaven.
19.jpg

At the checkin.
20.jpg
21.jpg

Got my room.
22.jpg

Our section was called “Lovers Lane” Bhahahahaha
23.jpg

Lunch.
24.jpg

Fugly making a back summy. We all had a swim to prove the fact wrong. “You can’t swim after a big meal” Oh ja I almost drowned from cramps.
25.jpg

End of Part 1

Lots to come.

I was kakking off at the Herald! are you guys coming to camp at the Fish river in 2 weeks time with Drazils Geo braai?

edgy said:
I was kakking off at the Herald! are you guys coming to camp at the Fish river in 2 weeks time with Drazils Geo braai?

I will if i am not busy with work.

LeonDude said:
Nice Cappy, now bring the rest. Man you're making me lus for a long ride.

Hulle is oppad :thumleft:

Die volgende deel is interessant. ;D

Jikes Cappie maar daai bul het jou skeef uitgekyk he? Theuns se winkel nog altyd oop? Aaai ek mis daai wereld somtyds man, wag nou net vir die modder pics, laat hulle kom kwagga. ;D

Part 2

After lunch and a swim we decided to go play in the mud. It was raining for 48 hours before we arrived. The pass was covered in snot like clay. Lots of fun if you have knobblies. Not so fun if you have road tires.

I left my jacket in my room and opted for a raincoat. Jacket not needed as I never got out of first gear. LoL.

Lovely snot.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Me paddling up the mountain. The incline cannot be seen on the pics. The rear was spinning all the time.
3.jpg

Mamba attempting the snot with his worn road tires.
4.jpg

Fugly enjoying himself on the correct equipment.
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

The mist got thicker the higher we got. Luckily most of the snot disappeared so there was a little bit of grip.
9.jpg

Great pic.
10.jpg

Another great pic. Fugly as photographer.
11.jpg

Told you there was a gorilla in the mist.
12.jpg

With visibility at 5 meters, mud everywhere the following was bound to happen.
13.jpg

The Captain went down. I rode into a ditch. Luckily Fugly helped me before I had damage.
14.jpg

Mamba went down a few meter earlier.
15.jpg

A very tired Cappie.
16.jpg

Reminds me of mine.
17.jpg

I can’t see shit Captain. LoL
18.jpg

I quit after a 6 kilometers up the mountain. I was exhausted and risking damage to the bike. Mamba and Fugly quit a few hundred meters later due to bad visibility and road conditions.

On our way down. The way down was lotsa fun. No spinning to propel the bike. It was all balance. Mamba suffered more with the road tires on the Strom. I was fine with my TKC on the front.
19.jpg
20.jpg

Katberg pass and cows.
21.jpg

We made it down the pass slipping and sliding. I had a few windgat moments trying to induce some slide to see if I can control it.

Back on the hotel grounds there were a few puddles and Mamba lost concentration while riding through a puddle. He left the content path met the earth and slid down the road. One gear lever broken.

The accident location.
22.jpg

One gearlever broken.
23.jpg

One indicator broken.
24.jpg

One bruised ego without gloves. LoL
25.jpg

End of Part 2

Part 3 to follow.

DeonDj said:
Jikes Cappie maar daai bul het jou skeef uitgekyk he? Theuns se winkel nog altyd oop? Aaai ek mis daai wereld somtyds man, wag nou net vir die modder pics, laat hulle kom kwagga. ;D

Theuns se winkel lyk bietjie stukkend. Weet nie of hy nog werk nie.

Farkit maar julle was lus vir slip 'n slide, lyk darem nie na te veel skade nie op die Vee, paar bleddie goeie foto's daar innie mis veral van die Vee wat aankom ;D

DeonDj said:
Farkit maar julle was lus vir slip 'n slide, lyk darem nie na te veel skade nie op die Vee, paar bleddie goeie foto's daar innie mis veral van die Vee wat aankom ;D

Jip die Vstrom sou okay gewees het as hy TKCs gehad het. Was regtig baie glad. Mens moes mooi staan of jy slaan neer.

nice one cappie!

gald to see your taking that red beauty for a ride  :thumleft:

Part 3

Saturday night was spent in the pub and restaurant. Obviously I can’t speak about the happenings. What goes on trip stays on trip.

I woke up after a great rest on Sunday morn. We needed to fix Mamba’s gear lever. Fugly organized a piece of Alu pipe and tools.

Fugly happy with his reapair to the Strom lever.
1.jpg

Aftermarket lever. LoL
2.jpg

On our way home we opted for tar . This was the last piece of gravel.
3.jpg

Eastern Cape DS country.
4.jpg
5.jpg

On our way home we stopped at Nanaga farm stall for some ice cream and Wild Boar pie.

Thanks for the company guys. I learned a lot about riding mud. Great Adventure.