Licensing a bike..please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelevra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I am close to giving up.

I bought a 2011 KTM 530 EXC a while ago with the idea to commute to work and saving the 990 a bit.

So, the model, law abiding citizen I am, I wanted to follow the correct route so I spent some money on OEM flickers, a horn etc. and took it to the local testing station.

After parting with R420, the roadworthy test is done, passed, no problem. Then the fun begins, went up to the office to get my RWC but after disappearing behind the counter for more than an hour the lady tells me the bike cannot be registered as roadworthy? Why? the bike passed the road worthy test..and it’s made for the EU market not? Spoke to a couple of dealers and I’m told that you are lucky if they come into the country as roadworthy. The reasoning behind this is they are mostly used for racing and the guys dont want to pay annual licence fees (good argument but this is the EXC not the XCR-W or whatever) I know some guys had similar issues with the CRF 230's

I bought a XCR-W new in 2008 and it came with a license disc but no wiring harness, the EXC has the harness but is not roadworthy?
Is there anything I can do to get this bike legal and on the road?

Otherwise it will go up for sale.  :'(  :'(  :'(