Prince Alfred's Pass, a Vuka and a G'Spot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoJangels

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
After having read a few of Trailrider’s ride reports on his blog,
I wondered if my Vuka will make it across Prince Alfred’s Pass…
:D
Only one way to find out….

I phoned the Vuka agency in George earlier in the week to find out if the Vuka tyres are tubeless and what I would need in case of a puncture…No, they’re not tubeless. Ok, so I need to buy a puncture repair kit. I don’t know how to repair a puncture but anyway, now I know  :thumleft:

Early yesterday  morning I was lying in bed fantasizing about riding thru the pass and thought…well..why not go today?  :)

The “rational” me kicked in…it looks like rain…you don’t have a puncture repair kit…you’ll be riding alone…what if anything happens…what if you die and nobody finds you…you don’t even know how and where to check the oil…. :eek:

Fortunately there is The Other me…
Just Go….you’ll be fine…you’re too young to die…don’t worry about punctures…things happen when and how they’re meant to happen… :mwink:

JUST GO….

First stop, Wimpy for coffee..then fuel (R12 to top up  ;D) then the unknown….

After almost two years since the worst flood the Southern Cape experienced in almost 39 years the R340 between Wittedrift and the T-junction at R339 is still in bad shape…the going was quite slow…at times minus 10/kms per hour….at times it felt like my boobs were going to bounce right off my chest  ;D :biggrin: (note to self: Wonderbra is not suitable for off-road riding  ;)),,,at times the road was a breeze.
I reached the T-junction without incident or puncture… :thumleft:
PrinceAlfredsPass001.jpg

Next stop: Angie’s G’Spot…desperately needed some coffee…
PrinceAlfredsPass007.jpg

PrinceAlfredsPass009.jpg

What a lekker little place…nice people..(Harold is a biker too), Harold and Angie opened April 2008 with plans to improve and expand as finances allow. :thumleft:
PrinceAlfredsPass008.jpg

I have taken some pics of the accommodation for the non-campers, they have a cosy little pub with a lovely fireplace right on the waters edge.

Harold mentioned they can accommodate approx 50 x 2 man=tents (there are only two ablutions), they will organize a potjie and/or a spit…camping is R50 per person excl food.

Great place to have a mini bash??
I bade them a fond farewell, hoping to be back soon, chilling around the campfire with a nice pinotage  ;)
PrinceAlfredsPass012.jpg

The rest of the road was a breeze, with a few scary moments going thru some tights bends (en se nou daar’s ‘n kar?  :eek:)…but the Vuka handled it beautifully. Only once did I almost buy a piece of land…I stopped to take a picture…geared up again to leave and the next thing I was crashing thru the bush heading for the fence….the brakes….HIT THE BRAKES…..thank goodness for ABS  :D :D

Stopped at Uniondale Lodge for lunch..what a stunning place. If you appreciate antiques and collectables this is the place to be. They have a lovely pub complete with a working pinball machine and jukebox, just begging to stay for a drink or three….put another dime in the jukebox baby…..

I bumped into some guys at the petrol station in Uniondale who laughingly asked (sneering at my Vuka) if I wanted to ride with them, they were on their way to Angie’s G’Spot. I mentioned I have just come from there….ON THAT??? :eek:….they asked…pointing at my little black number.
Yes…I said smilingly.  :laughing4:
Apparently they had to leave one of their bikes down at Angie’s( I saw it parked there) as it got a puncture on their way up.
Then the teasing started….a Vuka can make it thru the pass without a puncture but a Kawa cant…. :laughing4:

My plan was to return to Plett via Montague Pass, then the Saasveld old Rd, then thru the 7 Passes to Knysna…but that didn’t happen… :-[

By the time I left Uniondale the weather had turned really cold with the odd drizzle here and there. When I reached the turn-off to Montague Pass I was frozen to the bone, shivering so much my scooter was shaking.

I decided to leave the passes for another day and headed towards a misty, rainy Outeniqua Pass, doing about 7kms/hr, riding with my visor open as visibility was zero…didn’t realize rain could sting your eyes that much…. :eek:

I stopped at a roadstall for coffee and thank heavens they had a pizza-oven with a wonderful fire going and promptly asked if I could warm my bones by the fire behind the counter  ;D
Once thru the pass the rain and mist cleared …the ride home was cold but fun, with daydreams of a hot shower…

Total riding time: left home at 7.30…almost 8 hours
KMS covered: 283
Cost: (excl coffee and lunch) R28
Fun Factor: still grinning…. ;D ;D

The Vuka is an amazing little skute, not once did it miss a beat, not once did I feel uncomfortable, my butt did not hurt after almost 300kms (granted, had a few stops), and it’s so economical.

I wonder if it will handle Bavians?
(hopefully with a repair kit)