Taking our bikes to Malawi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSLaaitie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Last year during Dawie (Rafiki) and my trip to Zimbabwe, I completely fell in love with cross country DS touring. We started planning this year’s trip while we were on our way back from the last and we decided spending a couple of days on Zambia’s dirt roads seemed like a good way to spend the leave we would earn until then.

After reading some RRs and travel books, we quickly welcomed Malawi to our itinerary. Ultimately we had planned a 6 000km route spanning 6 countries, through 7 border crossings and over 17 days.

Ignoring the fears from our loved ones over elections in Zimbabwe, terrorists threatening to kill white tourists in Mozambique, cholera in lake Malawi and wild giraffes roaming freely in Zambia, Dawie and I packed our things and were lying wide awake and excited in our beds late into the last night we would be home for a while.

Dag0104.jpg

Dawie’s things

Dag0107.jpg

My stuff

Dag0109.jpg

Packed and ready to go!

Day 1

Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe.jpg

4AM the next morning, Dawie woke me, eagerness clearly noticeable in his voice. My excitement, high as it was, could not warm the icy breath of the pre-dawn Pretoria winter’s morning and my blanket lay heavy on me. Promises of coffee finally lured me towards the kitchen and by 5AM we were suited up and ready to leave the city behind us. We had 760km and a border post to do today and certainly didn’t want to end up day one riding in the dark on Zimbabwean roads.

Though this was technically the start of our trip, the 500km of boring N1 tar together with the digital snow flake warning on my dashboard (as if I wouldn’t notice it’s freaking cold!) wasn’t exactly the most fun we had on our trip. Just past Louis Trichardt, we had some entertainment on a short twisty pass and filled up on our last 95 octane close to the border.

I promised myself last year that I would never in my life again use the Beitbridge border post, yet one year and 6 days later, here I was. Leaving RSA was quick and painless enough, but entering Zim was the usual long queues and slow officials, costing us 3 hours on an already full day. The warm layers of clothes I dressed in to fight this morning’s cold were still working very well and being stuck in a room crammed full of people over noon quickly had the shivers of this morning long forgotten. To enter Zim on a bike you need to pay toll fees ($5), Road Access Fee ($10), Carbon Tax ($6) and third party insurance ($30). R520 and litres of perspiration later we could leave the border and head for our first camp site. Next time I’d rather swim the Limpopo with my bike on my back.

Dag0112.jpg

Everyone we met were always very interested in the bikes and we were regularly asked for permission so they could take photos

We passed Lion and Elephant, the usual overnight site and headed further along the highway towards the camp site we used last year at the Great Zimbabwe ruins. That meant we still had a good 350 kms to go.

Dag0114.jpg

Dag0115.jpg

Meeting some locals next to the road.

Dag0113.jpg

Using a shortcut to avoid Masvingo, the road’s condition changed as it was getting darker. We had a tar “tweespoor” with many potholes and cars covered in election posters racing towards us.

Dag0117.jpg

Just after the sun gave its final light of the day we turned in at our campsite. We were camping at an old colonial house, overlooking Lake Mutirikwe.

Dag0118.jpg

Dag0121.jpg

Tired from the day’s riding, we immediately went for beer and food and only set up camp much later in the dark.

Costs for the day:
Camping: R120
Beer: R150 (R30 each)
Dinner: R210
Border: R510
Fuel: R386 (28l)
Fuel: R27 (18l)
Distance travelled so far: 841.5km

Day 2

We woke after a cold night eager to get up and going. Folding our tents and packing our bags took some time and were still tasks that we would get a lot of practice in and get a lot quicker at.

Dag0206.jpg

We had a quick chat with the other guests and started our 500kms for the day at about 9:00. The plan was to get through Zimbabwe as quickly as possible and we stuck to the highway. There are a lot of police and traffic officers in the 80 zones, so we tried our best to keep to their speed limits. Most of the signs cancelling the slower zones are gone however and it is always a gamble to decide when it must be time to get back to 120. The road itself was quiet, but the burnt out carcasses of busses and trucks littered the fields next to the road leaving an ominous feeling.

Passing through Harare over lunch time on a Friday can be intimidating, but the people are very friendly and everyone in traffic is keen to strike up a conversation. We stopped at a Steers and had the King Steer burger special at $10 (R105) each!

Exiting Harare to the north, things become quiet and mountainous. We passed a couple of commercial farms with irrigation systems and Sunflower, Mielies, Bananas, Tabaco, Cotton and Soybeans on their fields. We had no idea yet of where we were going to set up camp tonight. We started searching for a potential camp site and some coke for the KWV we were carrying with us. Friday afternoon was slowly turning into Friday night and the locals were getting louder and cheerier at each town. The coke truck hasn’t been doing its rounds and most shebeens and shops couldn’t help us. Finally we found some mix at a village shebeen.

Dag0212.jpg

From the village we headed towards the town, Mount Darwin, searching for possible camp sites. While looking for a camp site, we missed our turn and came across a great little gravel road, our first for the trip, nearly 1 000kms from home already. Sadly we quickly realized our mistake and had to turn around to head back towards Mount Darwin.

Dag0214.jpg

10 kms short of the town Dawie turned from the main road into a private road, towards a mountain he had spotted as a possible site on Google earth back home. The idea was to ask the locals for permission to camp there and then just leave early the next morning, without intruding or bothering anyone.

Dag0216.jpg

Road towards our intended camp site

Passing a village, we stopped and asked to speak to the man in charge. A very neatly dressed man came to talk to us in very limited English. After explaining to him that we were just tourists looking for a flat piece of land to pitch our tents for 10 hours and then leave again, he insisted we phone the owner of the land. Half an hour later, with the sun starting to pack his things to go home, the owner arrived with a bunch of his mates. Everyone was clearly very jittery and we didn’t feel very welcome. They asked to see our driver’s licenses and passports to prove we weren’t “election observers”. Eventually he agreed to us camping on his land for the night. He offered to organise some firewood for us and him and his mates walked behind a hut. We could hear a long discussion and as the last light came rolling over the mountains in the west, they returned with their minds changed. We were to report to the local police station immediately as they could not “guarantee our safety there”. So there we were, nowhere to camp and the last light of day already making its way across Botswana.
With few options left, we took off to town in search of a place to spend the night, or the police station, whichever came first.

Mount Darwin is not really the type of town Zimbabwe would use to sell post cards or travel books and we could not find any camp sites. At the police station a very friendly constable directed us towards the town “lodge” where he said we could safely spend the night, only 500 meters from there. In retrospect, we’d rather just have camped on the police’s grass. The “lodge” was owned by a very shady young man who immediately saw his chance to make some profit out of desperate travellers. He insisted we rent a chalet each as 2 men couldn’t share one with only one bed. After Dawie’s persistent declining of his offer, he caved and charged us $35 for the use of their chalet. The “chalet” was on the brink of collapse and we had no intention of using the provided bed. The cold water shower was slippery with algae (well I hope it was algae) and we decided to skip the use of their facilities and sleep on our camping gear on the floor.
Luckily the coke and KWV were still at hand and allowed us to be asleep quite early.

Dag0226.jpg

Dag0305.jpg

Costs for the day:
Camping: R175
Coke: R10 (1l)
Fuel: R380 (26l)
Distance travelled so far: 1355.8km

Day 3

We were eager to leave the slums of Mount Darwin behind us and rose with the sun. The tar road leaving the town was very quiet. After 70kms or so the tar company’s budget must have run out and we were finally on some gravel!

Dag0310.jpg

A short smoke break to deflate the tires a bit for the start of some gravel

While doing some research, we were told that we could use this road to Mozambique if we were up for an “adventure”, but the road turned out to be a gravel highway and we reached the Mukumbura border post at about 10:00. The view of the open border post was the sign for Dawie and me to admit to each other that we weren’t really sure if this post was still operational, as we had come across many conflicting reports while doing our planning and we were both hiding this uncertainty, thinking the other had no idea that we might have to add 300kms or so to our riding for the day!

10 minutes after greeting the very friendly official at immigration, the gate was opened and we could leave Zimbabwe. This Northern border between Zimbabwe and Botswana Mozambique is a wide, but dry and sandy river bed.

Dag0314.jpg

Dag0316.jpg

Mukumbura border between Zimbabwe and Mozambique

The sand did catch us somewhat unaware and Dawie is now one of the very few bikers who can claim an off in international waters!

ah man, I miss Malawi already.. cant wait to see where you end up. 6000km in 17 days is a tall ask.

:happy1:

Wayne Duck said:
I feel the urge to get back there as well...it's been 20 years!  :eek:

Wayne

LOL, we read these ride reports and it starts an itch you just have to scratch.. look at what happened when I read yours.. ba ha

GSLaaitie said:
Day 3

we could use this road to Mozambique if we were up for an “adventure”, but the road turned out to be a gravel highway and we reached the Mukumbura border post

10 minutes after greeting the very friendly official at immigration, the gate was opened and we could leave Zimbabwe. This Northern border between Zimbabwe and Botswana is a wide, but dry and sandy river bed.
???