Where on the road is the best place?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTooMatt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I ask this knowing that there are cops and ex cops on the forum as well as myriad of knowledgeable riders who can help.

I ride when splitting between the fast lane and the next one in. On the major motorways here in Gauteng there are often road works as well as that juicy looking  half lane to the right of the fast lane. I am often working my way through the traffic only to  see some bikes whizzing down this lane without the perennial fear of somebody cutting you off. It seems to be a much safer place to ride. Also what is this lane called anyway?

I have a mate who swears the road works lanes on the N1 right now are his personal highway.

Now what legally speaking is the correct thing to do. Also what is the accepted conventional wisdom. went riding with another friend who has more than twenty years experience only to watch split through the slow lane or more regularly go around the outside of all the lanes on William Nicol where they have islands the whole way down.

Also on single lane roads do you overtake on a solid line when it is clearly safe to do so or do you sit and wait for the broken line. Some cagers are helpful here and you don't need to cross the solid line but most are just obstructive.

Latest posts