A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dirtyXT said:
interesting. a dry stop over though? poor planning. get out there quick! 🤣

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very poor planning  :lol8:  Could not find a beer or shot of whiskey anywhere.

big oil said:
Could not find a beer or shot of whiskey anywhere.

I would have kept on riding.
It's a lucky thing you did not die of thirst.

Ganjora said:
big oil said:

The rust the rust, if no anti-rust taken! :imaposer:
BO, must be strong as he survived. :pot:

I like that you eat your steak properly prepared. A really good veterinarian could still save it...  :imaposer:

But stopping over in a "dry" town.... unforgiveable  :eek7:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Ganjora said:
big oil said:

Oubones said:
Ganjora said:
big oil said:

The rust the rust, if no anti-rust taken! :imaposer:
BO, must be strong as he survived. :pot:

Mr Zog said:
I like that you eat your steak properly prepared. A really good veterinarian could still save it...  :imaposer:

But stopping over in a "dry" town.... unforgiveable  :eek7:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

"A  really good vet could still save it"  :imaposer:  I have to remember that line, thanks!  :lol8:

I was curious, so I looked at a Alabama wet/dry map.  The municipality of Leeds, Alabama is located in 3 counties- St. Clair, Jefferson, and Shelby, which are all WET counties but do not offer Draft sales.  Therefore, the hotel attendant was wrong, though in her defense she told me she did not drink alcohol, but I probably could have found beer at a Convenience Store if she could have pointed me to a place that sold it.  Oh well, I survived........................barely!

https://abcboard.alabama.gov/(S(zm2byk4bm5lbr5riyaqwelc0))/wet_dry_map.aspx

WET counties

I lived in Tyler Texas for a couple of months. Dry county. Run by the 100 or what churches in town.Every road leading out of it has where the next country starts a gas station and a couple of booze shops.
Here is the stupid rule though. You could buy alcohol in town at a club or restuarant IF you buy a year membership for one dollar.And then you could get lekke pissed at that there pub or club and then drive home :lol8: :imaposer:

ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS said:
WET counties

I lived in Tyler Texas for a couple of months. Dry county. Run by the 100 or what churches in town.Every road leading out of it has where the next country starts a gas station and a couple of booze shops.
Here is the stupid rule though. You could buy alcohol in town at a club or restuarant IF you buy a year membership for one dollar.And then you could get lekke pissed at that there pub or club and then drive home :lol8: :imaposer:

Yeah, some things make no sense.  Michigan has no wet or dry counties, so it comes as a shock when I'm traveling and encounter such a thing. 

How did like Texas, Chris?  Did you make it up to Dallas?  Forth Worth stockyards?

WET counties

Yep, our company did a power plant in a dry county in Texas a few years ago, so everybody joined "The Banana Boat Club" same story, drink anytime you wanted.  :biggrin:

How did like Texas, Chris?  Did you make it up to Dallas?  Forth Worth stockyards?

Liked it there and could have stayed as I was offered a job. I worked at Mea Nurseries, still in business. The manager then (1991) was a south african. He had a business that he ran from home. When farms are sold in the US a whole big study and report has to be done before the sale goes through. At the time there was a lot of farms being sold in Illinions,Indianna and Ohio. Rumor was Johnny Cash was the money behind all the buying.
Anyway I'd drive up from Texas stay two weeks in those states and do as many farms as I could.Staying in motels wherever I was and ate at diners.I got fat!! :eek7:
When I was starting to feel the itch to move on from Texas this guy offered me the job, but I was homesick for SA and my year was nearly  done and I still wanted to see California.

Mr Zog said:
"A  really good vet could still save it"  :imaposer:  I have to remember that line, thanks!  :lol8:

another one...

You can almost hear it go "moo" when you bite into it...  :thumleft: O0

:lol8:  Thanks  :thumleft:  More ammo for my arsenal.

Liked it there and could have stayed as I was offered a job. I worked at Mea Nurseries, still in business. The manager then (1991) was a south african. He had a business that he ran from home. When farms are sold in the US a whole big study and report has to be done before the sale goes through. At the time there was a lot of farms being sold in Illinions,Indianna and Ohio. Rumor was Johnny Cash was the money behind all the buying.
Anyway I'd drive up from Texas stay two weeks in those states and do as many farms as I could.Staying in motels wherever I was and ate at diners.I got fat!! :eek7:
When I was starting to feel the itch to move on from Texas this guy offered me the job, but I was homesick for SA and my year was nearly  done and I still wanted to see California.

Gosh, you are old  :peepwall: :pot:  I was still in high school in 1991  :imaposer:

What was the most scenic area you visited?

Where were the friendliest Americans from the places you visited?

big oil said:

Gosh, you are old  :peepwall: :pot:  I was still in high school in 1991  :imaposer:

Must say I liked the people where I worked for four months on a dairy farm in Virginia. About hour an a half east out of DC. People would ask me questions about where I am from as if they know where it is.
In Texas people were friendly but I did not like it that every second oke acted as if he is a cowboy of some sort although he has never been a day on a farm.
Most scenic? Liked most of the US that I passed through. Even Arizona and the fact that there is less people and smaller towns and cities.
Where would I have liked to stay? Where the winter is not that severe. New-Mexico on a ranch or small town would be good.
Liked Kentucky too. Feels farmy.

Did not like Florida or Louisiana much. Too many bridges and water.

big oil said:

Must say I liked the people where I worked for four months on a dairy farm in Virginia. About hour an a half east out of DC. People would ask me questions about where I am from as if they know where it is.
In Texas people were friendly but I did not like it that every second oke acted as if he is a cowboy of some sort although he has never been a day on a farm.
Most scenic? Liked most of the US that I passed through. Even Arizona and the fact that there is less people and smaller towns and cities.
Where would I have liked to stay? Where the winter is not that severe. New-Mexico on a ranch or small town would be good.

For me Colorado. 8)

For me Colorado

I went through there in winter so all frozen up.
Guess Utah and Colorado and Montana would be stunning places to live in summer. :thumleft:

For me Colorado

I went through there in winter so all frozen up.
Guess Utah and Colorado and Montana would be stunning places to live in summer. :thumleft:

And people Tulsa, Oklahoma was great, but not the scenery of Colorado.  :biggrin:

dirtyXT said:
:thumleft: ill be in Colorado in 3 weeks! lookin forward to it.

Enjoy, if you have a chance go to Colorado Springs and do the Pikes Peak train from near Manitou Springs.    :thumleft: :thumleft:

Yeah, I've met many geographically challenged Americans that think South Africa means you're from the Southern portion of the African continent.  I was lucky, mama made me study a globe ;) and I grew up watching "The Big Easy" and "The Iceman" on the PGA tour.  Now, one of my top 5 faves is "Louis" which we've talked about before.

The Texan cowboys that fake the rough n tough cowboy persona we have a slogan for:  "Big hat, no cattle" or "All hat, no cattle"  :lol8:

I've been planning a trip to New Mexico and Arizona Spring of 18'.  I have several hundred miles of loops already mapped and I'd like to ride the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route, from South to North and take side trips along the way.  The NM BDR is just over 2000 kilometers (80% off-road/20% paved road) in length and runs from Dell City, Texas and ends just over the NM & CO border in Antonito, Colorado.

I enjoy Florida and Louisiana but only when it is not humid.  Parts of Louisiana has a swamp smell I don't care for, but I enjoy the culture and food.  Though, I have zero desire to ever visit New Orleans.

When you were in Virginia, did you find time to visit any of the sites in WDC or Arlington Virginia (White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial Wall, or Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery)? 

Since 1937, regardless of weather including lightning, Sentinels have kept a continuous guarding of The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, this was quite an emotional experience for me.  No talking is allowed, which some people around us got an ass chewing for.  Never cross the barrier and walk on the tomb.  One must stand at all times.

An example of what happens when you talk, laugh, or giggle at the Tomb:​

[youtube]https://youtu.be/bsdHxUXf2CE[/youtube]​

Here is a changing of the guard ceremony:​

[youtube]https://youtu.be/lAjxwNQwm8s[/youtube]​