A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welsh said:
big oil said:
What was the most scenic area you visited?

For me Colorado. 8)

The Western portion has amazing scenery.  The Eastern half of Colorado is to boring for me.

I toured Colorado back in 2009 on a GSA.  Coldest night I've ever spent in a tent.  I had to ride through several inches of snow on the way to the summit of Cinnamon Pass at 14,000+ feet of elevation.  Luckily I met a bulldozer clearing the roads or it would have been hell getting to Silverton, Co.

dirtyXT said:
:thumleft: ill be in Colorado in 3 weeks! lookin forward to it.

Christmas in Colorado sounds nice, dirtyXT.

Any sightseeing plans while there?

we going to Florida first for 4 days, then Colorado for 3 weeks then a week in London. Pagosa Springs. i expect a lot of hiking and skiing around wolf creek, 

haven't really planned any sight seeing yet, pretty much secured accommodation and travel. probably plan on the fly. i can spend time just floating around, i get lost in the different world and imagining what life would be like there and enjoy meeting average people to talk to. usually avoid tourist traps. any recommendations of the area? we were debating driving to Daytona Beach for day while in Florida. been to Miami/ key west and Florida extensively before so looking at seeing something new. dragging my 9 month old baby girl with so somewhat limited. but have grandparents on hand.

long and short survive the flight, and pub crawl as much as possible.  :deal: hopefully not broken legs. balance is not my strong suit so anticipate wiping out spectacularly down a snowy mountain.

When you were in Virginia, did you find time to visit any of the sites in WDC

In the four months I worked on the dairyfarm I was off four days. Those were not sundays which we milked twice , but the rest of the day was normally spent washing and going to town to get groceries for the week.

One day we were taken to DC to visit as many museums as we can cram into one day. Twas very interesting.
Two of my other days I took the bakkie (pickup) and drove up to Pennselvania to have a look at how the Amish do things. I'd sit there in the bakkie and watch a farmer plow for hours. They are masters at handling horses. It is a hard life they lead just because they interpret the bible the way they do.
The fourth day off I went to some agricultural show with a tractor pull. Loved that.

dirtyXT said:
we going to Florida first for 4 days, then Colorado for 3 weeks then a week in London. Pagosa Springs. i expect a lot of hiking and skiing around wolf creek, 

haven't really planned any sight seeing yet, pretty much secured accommodation and travel. probably plan on the fly. i can spend time just floating around, i get lost in the different world and imagining what life would be like there and enjoy meeting average people to talk to. usually avoid tourist traps. any recommendations of the area? we were debating driving to Daytona Beach for day while in Florida. been to Miami/ key west and Florida extensively before so looking at seeing something new. dragging my 9 month old baby girl with so somewhat limited. but have grandparents on hand.

long and short survive the flight, and pub crawl as much as possible.  :deal: hopefully not broken legs. balance is not my strong suit so anticipate wiping out spectacularly down a snowy mountain.

Congratulations on your new little angel  :eek:ccasion14:

I'll have to think about Colorado points of interest this time of year.  Be careful skiing man, don't get in over your head.  Those slopes are nothing to laugh at.

There is a scenic drive by Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona Beach.  https://www.ormondscenicloopandtrail.com/Map-with_header_and_text_v5.pdf

It's a tourist trap during the summer months, but I don't think it will be loaded with tourists this time of year.  If you have not visited before, Kennedy Space Center is a must stop.  I had no idea just how big those rockets are until I saw them in person.  The actual size is a mouth drop experience.  If you get there early, you can fit in much of what there is to see, but a multi-day visit is more comfortable.  It's only an hour drive from DB traveling Interstate 95 to the 405,  about an hour and 45 minutes if you travel down the much more scenic Highway 1 to the 405.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

big oil said:
dirtyXT said:

Congratulations on your new little angel  :eek:ccasion14:

I'll have to think about Colorado points of interest this time of year.  Be careful skiing man, don't get in over your head.  Those slopes are nothing to laugh at.

There is a scenic drive by Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona Beach.  https://www.ormondscenicloopandtrail.com/Map-with_header_and_text_v5.pdf

It's a tourist trap during the summer months, but I don't think it will be loaded with tourists this time of year.  If you have not visited before, Kennedy Space Center is a must stop.  I had no idea just how big those rockets are until I saw them in person.  The actual size is a mouth drop experience.  If you get there early, you can fit in much of what there is to see, but a multi-day visit is more comfortable.  It's only an hour drive from DB traveling Interstate 95 to the 405,  about an hour and 45 minutes if you travel down the much more scenic Highway 1 to the 405.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/

great thanks, will look into this. cant wait to get to Colorado. feedback ie gotten its on of the most attractive states!  :thumleft: might print a few copies of my CV and drop of them off as it also seems to be HQ for a lot of global tech Giants.

ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS said:
When you were in Virginia, did you find time to visit any of the sites in WDC

In the four months I worked on the dairyfarm I was off four days. Those were not sundays which we milked twice , but the rest of the day was normally spent washing and going to town to get groceries for the week.

One day we were taken to DC to visit as many museums as we can cram into one day. Twas very interesting.
Two of my other days I took the bakkie (pickup) and drove up to Pennselvania to have a look at how the Amish do things. I'd sit there in the bakkie and watch a farmer plow for hours. They are masters at handling horses. It is a hard life they lead just because they interpret the bible the way they do.
The fourth day off I went to some agricultural show with a tractor pull. Loved that.

Glad you got to enjoy a few days.

When I was living in Pittsburgh, PA, I had many Amish clients in Ohio.  They made me feel very welcome and showed me many of their ideas implemented.  I was honored when they would invite me for dinner on numerous occasions, also allowing me to sit at the main table, as they mostly don't trust non-amish in the business world easily.  I have great respect for the Amish community down in Ohio and the communities within a couple of miles from my place. 

My dad is long retired but, though Amish hire him to drive them wherever they need to go.  Just last week he had to travel 3 hours south to an Indiana town to pick up an elderly Amish couple and chauffeur them back to Michigan. 

Hey, I enjoy tractors pulls as well, from the small lawn mower sized with modified VW beetle engines to the big boy tractors with 4 Dodge Hemi's or Chrysler Elephant engines running 8000-10,000 horsepower each.  Or single turbo-diesels running 3.250 horsepower each:  :drif:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qEVIdR6Mxmk[/youtube]​

The pulling is kind of getting outrageous, maybe a little over the top.  We're seeing more multiple helicopter engine, gigantic multi-turboed diesel engines, and military jet boat engines powering tractor sled pullers in Europe and the USA.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/3ExGwVcUTHo[/youtube]​

After spending most of the day at Barber Motorsports Park and Museum, only taking 1 break to leave and go get food and charge my camera battery, it was around 4:30 pm when I decided to head north towards Michigan.

It was raining quite heavily when I entered traffic filled downtown Birmingham, Alabama, but had stopped raining before I exited North Birmingham.  I started feeling the anxiety of just wanting to be home in my own bed with my own pillow.  I know many of us distance riders go through this, but I need to work on this.

I ended up dead heading to Franklin, Kentucky, skipping two spots on the map I wanted to check out, downtown Nashville, Tennessee and the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

This is one thing I wish I could change about myself.  In my anxiety and stress of thinking about home, normally in the latest stages of a trip, I end up skipping things I originally wanted to see.  After I'm home for a couple of days, I could kick my own ass for not taking an extra day to see these places I had intended to.  I know I'm not the only one like this, but I get this itch really bad and can't seem to control it.  I wish I could take a deep breath, calm myself, and stick to the original plan.  I wish I had stayed in Huntsville, Alabama, went to Lynchburg, TN and stayed a night in Nashville, TN for I'm sure would've been a great time.  I guess there's next time, eh?

Anyway, I arrived in Franklin, Kentucky safely.  Fueled up, got a hotel room, and went for a nice meal at Cracker Barrel.  CB serves down home southern style food.  Not the most healthy option, but stick to your bones kind of food.  I failed to get a pic of my meal, but I ate Chicken Fried Chicken (a deep fried breaded chicken breast with gravy on top), green beans, redskin taters, and a tossed salad. 

I did not sleep well.  The hotel was too close to the interstate highway and the windows didn't do a good enough job of insulating an occupant from semi-traffic noise.  Sounds a little pompous, but I was hoping for a good nights sleep.  The next morning I planned to visit the National Chevrolet Corvette Museum just north of Franklin, KY in Bowling Green, KY, where the Chevy Corvette aka America's sports car, is manufactured.  After visiting the museum, the plan was to stop at two of my favorite Bourbon Distillery's, Makers Mark and Jim Beam along the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky.  Again, from most likely a lack of quality sleep, the anxiety set in to just get home.  So I skipped the museum and distilleries and dead-headed all the way back home, except for fuel, food, and 2 naps at road side rest areas.  Unfortunately, in my rush to get home, I didn't take 1 picture along the way.

Over the next month or so, I start thinking again about how much the Harley Street Glide hurts me a little too much to ride her.  I'm simply too tall for the bike.  And, like many motorcycle manufacturers, HD is guilty of charging top dollar for their bikes, while allowing them to leave the factory with cheap suspension components.  I take a lot of heat for being vocal about this in my local community.  I bet 99% of the motorcycling community in my local towns are exclusively riding HD.  Many of these riders are very close minded and wouldn't even have the thought of riding any other brand, wouldn't even allow themselves a test ride on a Euro or Japanese bike.  I find it troubling but to each their own, I don't sign their paychecks.  So, you can just imagine the response and attitude I receive when I'm at the breakfast round table telling these die hard HD riders that, I could buy a better set of shocks out of a used shock bin from a back alley in Bangkok, than what comes from the factory, it pisses them off royally.  Oh well, they'll get over it!

I do have to admit, HD has come a long long way in the past 15 years.  The fuel injection calibration is flawless.  No on/off feeling at the throttle on an FI HD.  While the engines vibrates at a stop sign, as soon as you take off, the engine is buttery smooth, one of few bikes I've owned that never made my hands go to sleep.  For a 900 pound bike, she got excellent fuel economy.  She never let me down, she was as reliable as an anvil, though admittedly the bike only had 11,000 miles on her, a little shy of 20,000 kilometers.  With our long winters, not a bad total for only riding the bike for a handful of months.

I longed to get back riding gravel and made the mistake of going look at the new KTM Super Adventure 1290 R model  :drif:  I began negotiating a trade, my HOG for the KTM, but the dealer wanted me to come up with money for the new KTM  :imaposer:.  That wasn't happening considering what a new HD Street Glide costs.  It was none of their business I had gotten a screaming deal on it new.  I understand business, so I wasn't surprised at their beginning offer for my HOG, but NO DEAL stealership.  Over the course of the next week, we went back in forth on price.  No deal unless I get the brand new KTM and walk out with some money in my pocket.  I had to be realistic though, because my HOG had a small scratch on the fuel tank and the panniers were badly scratched and rubbed from my waterproof Ortlieb duffel bag rubbing against the pannier lids.  Also, those letters I had adhered to my panniers for the Downs Syndrome Awareness ride had bleached the paint, so even after removal of said letters, you could clearly see what letters were adhered.

After a week of going back and forth trying to reach a number happy for both parties, we made it happen.  I took my time getting to the stealership, taking a nice country cruise to Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Traded this flat black sinister American beauty

with only a little over 11,000 miles on her.....

for this odd faced zero mileage Austrian.

And rode home with a grin from ear to ear on my new Austrian babe, thinking how much lighter she felt between my legs.

thinking how much lighter she felt between my legs.

and that be a normal feeling for you? :peepwall: ;) >:D :lol8:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

No, I was born with my own kickstand  :peepwall:  :pot:  >:D

big oil said:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

No, I was born with my own kickstand  :peepwall:  :pot:  >:D
O ok, I thought you were still one of the suicide shifter models :imaposer:
Sometimes it took two hands to shift up a gear :pot: :ricky:

:lol8:  I have not had the opportunity to ride a 'suicide shift' bike.  Maybe someday.  I'd like to at least try it once.

I very nearly had one all over my garage. :imaposer:
One of my customers father had an 1950's Harley running frame and the rest in shelves in his garage for assembly.
He gave it to his Son in law in the UK and if he could not get it exported it would have come to me.
It is now in the UK. :mad:

Bummer, that would have been a nice project, [member=20511]Oubones[/member].

What is parts availability like for HD parts in SA?

Has HD sold bikes there for a long time?

I am not that clued up on HD as I have never owned one, but they have been around for ever.
My dad had one in the 50's and used to ride it in the Upington area to the farms.
That is serious sand area!

A buddy of mine owns this one, ita 1942 or 43 I think, quite rare as it was always civilian, most are ex WD from that era. 8)

Welsh said:
big oil said:
Wow  :drif: :drif:

And in Jo,burg you can ride pretty much 365 days a year.  :biggrin:

Must be nice.  I won't be riding for at least 4 months.  Maybe I should get the hell out of here now and go ride in Mexico.