A question to all who changed from a 1l bike to 650 or smaller and vica versa...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Background:
I do one long tour (10 days on average per year) with the wife on an old 650 GS, then a number of long weekend trips and plenty of day trips around Gauteng and surrounds.

Dilemma:
Current bike (950 Adv S) is heavy for technical riding. I don't have spare cash for a play bike and do not want to make debt to buy it. BUT I love my bike and would hate to let it go... But most friends have lighter bikes/play bikes for day trips / technical riding, and I feel that my skill and fitness is not up there to keep the 950 up, thus the idea was born to look at alternatives.

Alternatives:
KTM 950 SE
KTM 690 Enduro
BMW X Challenge
- feel free to add more, but please explain the rationale behind your suggestion.

Advantages:
950 SE - ground clearance, WP, power, sound, awesome looks, I like it.
690 Enduro - 138kg, ground clearance, proven WP suspension.
650 XC - 144kg, lots of aftermarket accessories available, cheap when buying 2nd hand

Disadvantages:
950 SE - still weights 185kg
690 Enduro - lack of customisation, pricey when new
650 XC - less fuel than the 690, 5 gears vs 6 gears for the 690

All the above bikes have a problem regarding fuel range/capacity, touring functionality, etc - equal problem for all.

Now, would you change from a 1l bike to smaller bike (those that did, any pro's and cons?) or rather stick with what I have and improve my skills and fitness?

Disclaimer:
I can wake up in a day or two and decide that for no reason at all to stick with what I have, so do not be disappointed if I do not follow your advice.