klein Trippie om Vanrhynsdorp en sondag loskoppe pas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Piaggio (all models)
Funtana phoned with the idea of a trip to Kobee, saturday sleepover, return sunday.

Now Kobee is not far , 8km after Vanrhynsdorp on the road to Niewoudtville, Turn right, Short Gravel Trip , turn left and up a little gravel pass over the mountain.

I agreed, but talked him out of the sleepover part. I am getting lazy and did not feel like the extra slepp of packing camping goodies, sleeping in a tent knowing that my comfortable bed is not far.

The agreement was that I will get him in Klawer at 12H00, when he closes his bottle store, ride N7 to Vanrhynsdorp , tar and then to Kobee and back.

We left Klawer at About 12h30 onto the N7, a few km before Vanrhynsdorp I turned right onto the Gifberg road to get a bit of gravel road to Vanrhynsdorp, When we hit the intersection to turn left to the town funtana indicated lets rather go Straight, this road also gets there eventually, I always need gravel time, especially after the bike has been out of action for a while after Weskus and the posroete expedition.

Attachments

• Picture 206.jpg
    Picture 206.jpg
    85.9 KB
  • kobee.gdb
    9.7 KB
  • Picture 210.jpg
    Picture 210.jpg
    104.8 KB
  • Picture 209.jpg
    Picture 209.jpg
    104.2 KB
  • Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    89.4 KB
  • Picture 208.jpg
    Picture 208.jpg
    50.2 KB
time for a steering damper

Attachments

• Picture 211.jpg
    Picture 211.jpg
    113.6 KB
  • Picture 212.jpg
    Picture 212.jpg
    119 KB
  • Picture 213.jpg
    Picture 213.jpg
    78.3 KB
Steering Damper  :thumleft:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Ja Chris, veld nog nie daar nie, daar het darem al n reentjie geval, sal later die jaar weer die roete ry, en fotos gooi van die selfde plek met blomme.

Maar dit bly darem mooi.

We rode on until we connected with the Orionskraal road from Vanrhynsdorp to Gifberg/waterval.

He turned right instead of left and I had to follow as he just kept going

Attachments

• Picture 215.jpg
    Picture 215.jpg
    51.2 KB
  • Picture 216.jpg
    Picture 216.jpg
    81.2 KB
  • Picture 217.jpg
    Picture 217.jpg
    78.3 KB
  • Picture 218.jpg
    Picture 218.jpg
    70.4 KB
When we got to the next intersection above, he again explained that this road also gets there, and pointed to the mountain roads in the distance.

I could see 3 different roads up the mountain all leading to different places, He mentioned that he had been up the first one in his 4x4, but had not been up the others. He must has seem me stiffen in anxiety at this point.

I have learnt " a berg pad wat met n karnallie se 4x4 gery moet word is nie altyd n plek vir n bike nie"

We carried on with this road a short distance but after the next farm house it turned into a very sandy 2 spoor and became overgrown, with a locked gate.

So we had to turn and retreat and instead took the turn left.

Here had a nice ride through the farm, 5 gates, few dry river beds , Reminded me of Namibia

Attachments

• Picture 220.jpg
    Picture 220.jpg
    78.1 KB
  • Picture 219.jpg
    Picture 219.jpg
    72.5 KB
so we get to the gates above and Funtana starts telling me he rode up the mountain in a Mercedes Benz 230 diesel with only 3 cylinders operating.

Now I start wondering, a while ago it was a 4x4, and decline the invitation.  I am Hungry
I suggest we rather try the mountain part tomorrow as we are now eventually just 15 km outside Vanrhynsdorp, with a little detour. He reluctantly agrees and we ride to the tar road, he finds a can of bully beef under his seat and we have lunch. (I am not one to worry about expiry dates) But the bully beef did taste like bully beef used to.

Attachments

• Picture 221.jpg
    Picture 221.jpg
    72.7 KB
  • Picture 222a.jpg
    Picture 222a.jpg
    48.4 KB
This was my second ride with the Dunlop D606 on the rear, it sings abit much, but has made the KLR a different bike.

Lekker report Tgg  :thumleft:, how is the KLR after the new rings ? 

Seeing the lekker photos makes me want to go ride.  :ricky:

So you going up the mountain again tomorrow ? , you better get a stronger steering damper .  :mwink:

doing the pass this morning, Funtana has ideas about doing them all. Still riding the bike in again so tar road boring and slow, gravel I don,t travel fast so there it does,nt matter

Well sunday it was the pass or actually passes, the road ends somewhere, so it is a return trip, The mountain we are going to climb in the distance and the turnoff and the road up the mountain

Attachments

• Picture 223.jpg
    Picture 223.jpg
    39 KB
  • Picture 224.jpg
    Picture 224.jpg
    61.2 KB
  • Picture 225.jpg
    Picture 225.jpg
    64.7 KB
  • Picture 215.jpg
    Picture 215.jpg
    51.2 KB
A nice road to the start of the climb and then up

Attachments

• Picture 230.jpg
    Picture 230.jpg
    66.8 KB
  • Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    68 KB
  • Picture 228.jpg
    Picture 228.jpg
    138.5 KB
  • Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    88.9 KB
  • Picture 227.jpg
    Picture 227.jpg
    42.4 KB
There is a small lookout point halfway, to stop and re-consider, The gradiant is steep, the surface loose leiklip and washed away gutters, Once you get doing there is no stopping, pulling away again is not actually an option, down the otherside is not that steep and a very nice ride

Attachments

• Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    93.4 KB
  • Picture 232.jpg
    Picture 232.jpg
    121.7 KB
We even had a few small crossings between the 2 mountains , We reached the gates to the Volgraaffs place, Funtana had arranged permission as the next part is on their farm, was also the stop for the first steering damper

Attachments

• Picture 234.jpg
    Picture 234.jpg
    114.6 KB
  • Picture 235.jpg
    Picture 235.jpg
    79.2 KB
  • Picture 237.jpg
    Picture 237.jpg
    120.2 KB
Funtana here mentioned that we will stop around the corner , make a fire and have brunch.

Around the corner involved a type of cattle track up a and down a mountain , until the road eventually disappeared. Up the hill I got stuck behind some cattle, they moved when I moved , but to slow for the speed I needed. The road eventually got a bit wider and they ran single file to the left. I decided to pass them with a burst a speed, all went well till the one second from the front panicked and jumped in front of me.

Severe evasive action was needed , I don,t actually know how but somehow I passed them, and their horns were big

Attachments

• Picture 239.jpg
    Picture 239.jpg
    82.5 KB
  • Picture 240.jpg
    Picture 240.jpg
    109.7 KB
  • Picture 241.jpg
    Picture 241.jpg
    66.7 KB
  • Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    107.6 KB
Here we stopped for a braai and refreshments, I also found Funtana,s Merc that he must have left behind. He was quite well packed with a type of sliding basket full of stuff

Attachments

• Picture 243.jpg
    Picture 243.jpg
    104.9 KB
  • Picture 251.jpg
    Picture 251.jpg
    135.3 KB
  • Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    151.5 KB
  • Picture 246.jpg
    Picture 246.jpg
    83.2 KB
  • Picture 244.jpg
    Picture 244.jpg
    113 KB
From here it was back long the same trail. Going down I realised how steep the pass actually was, 1 st gear downhill, with foot on the back brake on the really steep parts.

This was one of the best rides I had,

Attachments

• Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    91.9 KB
  • Picture 253.jpg
    Picture 253.jpg
    187.2 KB
  • Picture 254.jpg
    Picture 254.jpg
    114.1 KB
  • Picture 256.jpg
    Picture 256.jpg
    73.5 KB
  • Picture 257.jpg
    Picture 257.jpg
    74.5 KB
  • Picture 258.jpg
    Picture 258.jpg
    51 KB
Julle was op Isak Vollgraaf se plaas.
Stunning pad daai. :thumleft:

Fantastiese area en paaie om te ry. Was self 'n paar jaar gelede daar deur en almal was baie vriendelik behalwe vir Rooi van Zyl op die Kobee pad. Dankie vir die moeite om dit met ons te deel.