My first Canola Run.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisl

Teelhond
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Left my place an hour later than I wanted too and for the first 30 klicks in a fast mood and then after the first pic slowed down bacause I had ALL day to do 250 odd kms. I wanted to see how little tar I can do from my place to Uiltjies nest.
P1020321.jpg

Must have been a grand place in its day "doublestory"!
P1020322.jpg

Did not take the normal route to Vermaaklikheid. Turned right here to go through the Duiwenhoksriver on the
way to Witsand.
P1020323.jpg

P1020324.jpg

Barley getting ripe.
P1020325.jpg

Got to tarroad between Heidelberg and Witsand and after 500 meters turned right. Longest line of
Bluegums Ive seen in my life.
P1020327.jpg

I love the bluecranes. We had two tame ones when I was a kid. Their names were Boet and Saartjie.
P1020328.jpg

Whitegold. Oatbales wrapped in whiteplastic to keep it fresh and green like when it was baled.
P1020329.jpg

I zigzaged through the farms to turn right here towards Malgas.
P1020330.jpg

The Breederiver and the holidayhomes on the banks.
P1020331.jpg

Everybody knows the Malgaspontoon. I hope they never build a bridge here.
P1020333.jpg

P1020334.jpg

P1020335.jpg

And the "Boere with bikes" were here aswell.
P1020336.jpg

Turned left towards Ouplaas.
P1020337.jpg

Thats the whole of Ouplaas. Luckily the school is still open.
P1020338.jpg

Turned right after Ouplaas kept going towards Swellendam for about 15 kms and turned left here.
P1020339.jpg

I used to be a farmmanager on that farm in the distance. Long time ago.
P1020341.jpg

I joined the Swellendam-Bradasdorptarroad and turned left after 50 m on tar and stopped at the little church
all the farmers attend who lives in the area.
P1020342.jpg

Over the seat infront of the church one can see the second farm I worked on.
P1020344.jpg

The Langeberge in the distance.
P1020345.jpg

The whole of Protem. Took a right just after Protem and joined the tarroad between Stormsvlei and Bredasdorp.
Turned left.Rode on it for 3 kms and turned right.
P1020347.jpg

To Klipdale.
P1020348.jpg

The whole of Klipdale!
P1020350.jpg

I love big farmmachinery. Thats a silagetrailer. Takes 7 tonnes and costs R600 000. Stood there talking to
the contractor who owns it for a while.
P1020352.jpg

I spent long days in tractors like that when I was younger.
P1020353.jpg

For those who like beer. Heres the start BARLEY!
P1020355.jpg

P1020358.jpg

P1020360.jpg

The whole of Rietpoel! Have you noticed the people in the last three towns all have very tall silindrical houses
without windows?!!!
P1020361.jpg

A short piece of tar before I cross the tarroad between Riverwithoutend and Stanford. I keep on to Jongensklip.
P1020362.jpg

P1020363.jpg

Now if cattle got hayfever this lot would be sneezing their asses off. A carpet of yellow flowers.
P1020365.jpg

P1020366.jpg

I had to turn left to join the Caledon-Napier tarroad at which I turned right to get to Uiltjies nest.
P1020371.jpg

And what a beautiful nest they have. I rode 254 kms and surprizingly no more than 15 kms of tar!!
P1020370.jpg

Uiltjie was not there and I walked around a bit. Look what I spied in the workshop!! Thats a 450 Honda Twin.
Please Uiltjie finish that gocart!!
P1020367.jpg

All the toys belonging to the "klein uiltjies" and they know how to ride!
P1020373.jpg

I took a tent with me to pitch in his big garden. No says Uiltjie the only dog that sleeps in my garden is my own.
So this is where I slept. The original farmhouse. Beautiful place. We had a great braai, talked bikes and went to bed
too late. Thanks again Uiltjie and family.
P1020376.jpg

Look at that moerse bed for only one dog!! Pity missesL did not join on this trip.
P1020377.jpg

The next morning on the way to Caledon.
P1020378.jpg

P1020379.jpg

Everyone joining at the church.
P1020381.jpg

Now heres the sad part. I was so busy riding I only took 4 pics of the whole Canola Run!! I had to ride or be
left behind!!
P1020382.jpg

It was a great ride in an area I do not know.
To everyone that helped with the organizing, Thank you very much. I will be back.

I took the blackroute home as fast as I could dare.

Thanks for reading.

Chris, jy is 'n baie goeie advertensie vir die skoonheid van die Overberg en die Suid-Kaap. Was 'n voorreg om jou te ontmoet.

Sien jou op die volgende Canola Run!

isiTututu said:
Fantastic photos Chris - Thanks.

Ride reports like this make me laugh at all the people who would rather live in Austrailerpark!  What a lekker country we live in.

I cant agree more!

Thanks for sharing this lekker RR.

Where did you get those extra crashbars mounted on the standard ones?

Hoe kry jy dit reg om al daai grondpad te ry en jou bike so skoon bly?Die paaie lyk vir 'n slag mooi die kant af :thumleft:

Thanks for the very nice RR!  Your pics are beautiful.  :thumleft:

Thanks for the report.  :drif:

It still surprises me how many great rides there are on our own doorstep! It has given me some ideas for my next weekend out.

Thanks again.

Dankie baie Chris! :thumleft:
'n Gebied wat ek gladnie ken nie - maar danksy jou fotos en RR gaan ek nou ...........!! :ricky:
Groetnis en wys ons asb gou weer van jou area!

Nice chris, thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Some memories:
I went down this hill in the car towards Vermaaklikheid earlier in the year, and basically slid down this hill, it was so muddy. They were still finishing the road in some places. Had to take the long road back to Witsand
P1020323.jpg

My uncle farms just down the road
P1020325.jpg

Mooi fotos Chris en dit was lekker om jou weer n slag te sien  :thumleft:

Lekker Chris, maar dammit man, ek kan nie in Ingels boer nie. Is dit hoe 'n baler vandag lyk??

P1020350.jpg

Silage = kuilvoer = koeipap = melk =kaas = yohurt...

Snafu: Dis 'n kuilvoerwa.

Daar is net een OVERBERG!  En dis die MOOISTE een!

OuTop said:
Silage = kuilvoer = koeipap = melk =kaas = yohurt...

Snafu: Dis 'n kuilvoerwa.

Daar is net een OVERBERG!  En dis die MOOISTE een!

Dankie Outop, net die pickup onder gesien en gedink die ding maak m... groot bale :)
maar dit maak sin, die ander foto wys die platsnyer

Hi Chris, mooi wêreld daardie.

Hierdie foto is van die pad af geneem tussen Rietpoel en Jongensklip. Daar was vroeër jare n spoorweg sylyn ........ Schildskloof is die sylyn en daardie plaas se naam. Ek het daar groot geword ....... dit is ons buurplaas daardie. Ons plaas is net oor daardie randjie. Die eienaar van hierdie plaas, Kobus Wessels, het ons plaas later gekoop toe my Pa afgetree het  :thumleft:

Attachments

• RUENS.jpg
    RUENS.jpg
    38.7 KB