One too many a pass to name them all... eSKaPe & Misty - Dec 09

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
We knew we had two weeks at our disposal in December 09, but being Jan 09  ;) there was plenty of time still to plan it all: when, how, what as well as the destination, or is that the journey… As time went by a plan started forming and our hearts leaned towards the West Coast… and then it was the waiting…

But the year flew by and with less than a month to go we set out a more or less route (as to give us some flexibility), got some of our accommodation sorted – the original plan was to camp, but due to my highly efficient nature  ;D I managed to find us very nice, affordable non-camping accommodation along the way, which also increased the luggage space – hehe see, always work with a plan – as well as got all the necessary tools, spares, supplies etc in order, and then we were on our way.

DAY 1 – JHB to Graaff-Reinet – 826km – https://aaqtansisi.co.za/

This was our first loooong trip together, just the two of us, who was the bravest, me or eSKaPe?!  :) We were so eager to be on the road, that 15 min into our trip, we realized we forgot one of the most important accessories – our camelbacks! So after a speedy u-turn (this time it wasn’t the GPS) and the camelbacks safely attached, we were finally on our way.

001-1.jpg

We mainly headed straight down the N1 but near Brandfort we were bored so turned off onto secondary roads via Bells Pass, the first of over 20 passes we rode, unfortunately we cant name them all, but what a stunning country we have! Then on to Graaff-Reinet – the road wasn’t too busy and it wasn’t too hot, yet. We arrived in Graaff-Reinet at about 4pm, where our gracious hosts awaited us with a litchi margarita - yum  :thumleft:

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Before dinner we went for a ride up the little koppie, what an amazing view of the quaint town. We were sooo looking forward to karoo lamb, but unfortunately they ran out and the butchery doesn’t open on a Sunday… none the less we had a great eve, slept like logs and were ready for the road to CPT.

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

DAY 2 – Graaff-Reinet – CPT – 752km

We got an early start, which was just as well as a long ride was ahead, although we didn’t quite know it at the time. We went via Prince Albert and the Swartberg Pass, Caltizdorp and then all the way on Route 62 to CPT.

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

For me Swartberg Pass was rather challenging as the sheer drop terrified me slightly and then we still had to avoid all the 4x4 going up and down, so it took us a bit longer than planned – but the view made up for it.

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

By the time we got to Calitzdorp it was very very hot and McNabs was the only thing that was going to get me further! Here we also bumped into Sprocket – we hope you made it to The Hell and back ok??

016-1.jpg

The hot, full blasting wind all the way to Montagu also didn’t work in my favour, but despite the wind Ronnies Sex Shop didn’t escape us…

017-1.jpg

And who’s Avatar did we spot on the wall of shame??  :mwink:

018-1.jpg

This might work better in the wind?!  :ricky:

019-1.jpg

Caught in the act…  :eek:

020-1.jpg

We arrived in CPT at 7pm – tired but happy. We stayed in CPT for 6 days.

SandMan and his family were visiting in CPT and what better reason to get together for a braai, and also to baptize SandMan to WaterMan as he made his very impressive entry by falling (or rather stepping) right into the pool – I mean, as if he couldn’t see the big blue mass of water – must be all the sand in Botswana, they not use to water there… or maybe he was just looking for an excuse to have his phone out of service  :D

021-1.jpg

Rest to follow shorlty...

Since I've been delving in RR's the last coupla days ... that's the best RR I've read.
Really like the fact that there are loads of pics!
Well Done MisTy!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

:imaposer: @ Sandman aka waterman

he told us about it when we visited him in Bots

great photos Misty looks like you had fun

Glad you made it home safely
Photos are super
I think we should have slide show/braai again...what do you think?

u guys did such a lekka trip down - nice just the 2 of u, and lots of time 2 enjoy the adventure :thumleft:

good pic Misty :)

:imaposer:  @ Sandy fallin in the pool - 2 funny :biggrin:

DAY 8 – CPT Beserker Ride – 300km

Beserker was a great assistance in the planning of our trip, he gave us lots of advice via email and he even offered to take us (or did I invite us…)  ;) on a little ride in his back yard, and he’d never even met us, that’s the WD spirit we love – THANKS again!!

The route: Stellenbosch - Betty’s Bay – Botriver – Franschoek - Stellenbosch

A few local dawgs joined in from L2R: Insithuthu, 1 KAT, Beserker, Stroker, Sunflower, Carlos, eSKaPe & Misty

030-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

Beserker-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

and we had a gr8 ride all of us...esp the sand tracks by the beach ;D

sandy - u should have called me, would have taken u 4 a ride on katie... >:D

Wow awesome Misty looks like it was a super trip... great pics as always...

D

Nice one Misty and Escape  :thumleft:

Nice to see you had a good holiday and some good riding time  :biggrin:

DAY 9 – CPT to Biedou Valley – 280km - https://www.soulcountry.info/accomodation.htm

The next day was the start of our 7 day trip, however a short while into our trip I realized that there was something not lekka with my bike and when we stopped in Ceres we noticed what it was – the steering head bearing lock nut was gone – completely gone – what now?! (all part of the adventure I hear in the back of my mind...)

031-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

Luckily there is an engineering workshop in town and he was able to manufacturer and fit a new nut for us (the most friendly and helpful people) – this delayed us by 2 hours, by 2pm we were on our way, still determined to go via Op-die-berg, Dwarsrivier and Wuppertal to where we were staying.

033-1.jpg

Look ma – I’m riding the 1200GS – with hands promise (… eSKaPe made me!) … but shhh… don’t tell him… it was great fun  :ricky:

034-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

We were both a little tired and very pleased when we finally got to Wuppertal – the road via Eselbank was a little rocky and sandy in patches and took us a while…

039-1.jpg

040-1.jpg

041-1.jpg

042-1.jpg

We arrived at Biedou Valley at 7pm and eSKaPe still managed to find some energy to make us a nice fire and braaied us the yummiest lamb chops ever, or maybe we were just starved – just teasing sweetie  :)

043-1.jpg

Nice, what an awesome ride & report  :thumleft:

Note to Misty get GS1200  :mwink:

:biggrin: