Playing in the Sand Pit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Maverick and I finished a quality afternoon spannering on our bikes after which I headed off to go play in a newly discovered disused sand pit. I did invite Maverick but unfortunately he couldn't make it.

A plastic bike is probably more suited to this terrain but I'm sure the satisfaction of dragging a small bike up those inclines would pale in comparison to dragging the AT up there on worn ContiEscapes. The sand is not very deep (certainly no match for the last sand I rode which was in the Namib desert) but enough to make the front go all wayward if you're not on the gas. And of course I just love wringing the old girl's ear... It had a fair amount of traction too which always helps. What also makes this interesting is that you're quite often riding against a bank/angle when crossing into different tracks which had me rather worried that I might loose the front but some "positive throttle" soon turned this into quite a lot of fun.

I had two "moments". This first was when I crossed from one track to another and overshot the second track and ended up in some grass. I didn't realise that there was a hump in the grass and the next thing I know the AT's tall screen jumps up and smack me on the chin. Thank goodness I was wearing a full face helmet.

The second moment happened when I was again overshot a track (at some speed) and ended up having to follow the alternative route which goes halfway up the bank before making a sharp turn down (sorry, lowsy way to describe it), but not before losing most of my speed as I desperately looked for an escape route. The problem was that I was in the wrong gear and so had barely enough momentum/power right at the top to get me round the bend before the AT fell a good 3m down the bank.

A brilliant way to end the long weekend! Here's some photos.

This is where the second moment happened. The track right below me is the one I had to get up.

Photo0105.jpg

Overview of the play pit. I went up or down most of the tracks. My first moment happened as I crossed from the track on the right in the foreground to follow the one going round the tree. There's quite a slope between the two which you can't see in this picture. I ended up just to the right of the tree.

Photo0106.jpg

Some of the tracks. My next goal is to learn to power round these bend in style. I'm still a bit wobbly at the moment.
Photo0107.jpg

Last one. Handsome isn't she?
Photo0108.jpg

That's all folks!