The Klein Karoo Meander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
The Two Dinosaur's, ALLEN I and I have just returned from a quick trip to the Karoo; we camped in the Karoo National Park where the Lions have escaped, then to Sutherland to see the stars (again), via Ouberg to Maitjiesvlei near Calitzdorp were we had a taste of 19th Century life and then to The Hell ... in the rain ... plain stupid I hear you say? ... cannot agree more!

A few teasers before I do the RR.

Ouberg was ah ... interesting.

The Hell was ah ... Hell! ... 70 mins to get in yesterday and 3 hrs to get out today!

... more to follow soon.

Thanks Guys ... Casting from Turd, 2 Lions had escaped out the Northern section of the park whilst most of the rangers were away on a course, we attempted to get to the cell tower on the Northern side from outside the park with the great view over the plains but was stopped by a Vodacom worker who had been contacted to keep an eye out for them, apparently one female has just had a litter and was very aggressive so we did not venture further in.

I await ALLEN I's photos, however this trip saw me head South to CT for a wedding and this enabled some new roads for me. I went over Malgas to use the pont.

Man powered boat speed, saw 1.4kn at one stage - impressive indeed!

Then via Elim and B'bos where the recent heavy rains had taken a toll on the roads and on to Gaansbaai to a good friends farm for two days.

A hint from the heavens as to what was to come, this outside Hermanus.

Last signs of the snow to be seen outside De Doorns on the road towards the Karoo National Park.

Haven't been to Matjiesfontein in years so a quick stop was needed.

Allen had also been busy with prep for the trip, coming down from PTA via Britstown as a stop over.

c60v.JPG

Smoke break.

w1qk.JPG

Great old wagon bridge with stone pillars.

w7mw.JPG

ngvl.jpg

It's still The Vaal River ... right?

51sy.jpg

vwyh.jpg

Lunch at the Kambro Pad Stal - certainly recommended.

xdoc.jpg

SAN Parks need a mention here as they are quite happy to allow bikes into the KNP outside Beaufort West but restrict the access to the 6 km drive to the chalets and camping areas only, once again time was of the essence and we did no other roads other than the drive in with plenty Fauna to be seen. Better planning would have enabled an organised game drive and that is to be recommended.  

Notice the electrified wiring on the road surface to discourage the Lions from getting to near...

We make camp, one of the best campsites so far despite no hot water in the showers ...

rgkw.jpg

This old guy (the short round one, no not that one, the one with 4 legs!) was living it up with his ladies on arrival.

Nothing goes to waste here ...

Fat 'n happy field mouse, ... and no we do not throw bones around, this was at a campsite nearby.

Off early.

4cky.jpg

Apparently the only way to tell Gemsbok male from female is by the thickness of their horns ... so, ah ... he's a she ...?

kqtr.jpg

22la.jpg

I was really surprised at the amount of wildlife so close to the park entrance. Lots of Ostrich, Wildebeest, Springbokkies, and some Zebra but all far away other than these dudes.

k187.JPG

We head North past the outside of the KNP via the Molteno Pass.

h0js.jpg

great ride sorry about the fall picture are great truly a great area to ride

Did the mouse smoke too?....  :peepwall:

Enjoy reading and compliments on the pictures!  :thumleft:

Ian in Great Brak River said:
The two Dinosaur's, ALLAN I and I have just returned from a quick trip to the Karoo; we camped in the Karoo National Park where the Lions have escaped, then to Sutherland to see the stars (again), via Ouberg to Maitjiesvlei near Calitzdorp were we had a taste of 19th Century life and then to The Hell ... in the rain ... plain stupid I hear you say? ... cannot agree more!

A few teasers before I do the RR.

Ouberg was ah ... interesting.

The Hell was ah ... Hell, 70 mins to get in yesterday and 3 hrs to get out today!

... more to follow soon.

Nice trip  :ricky:

Great to see some pics. Visiting the area last week of November, this is like a virtual scouting trip.

Lord Knormoer said:
Great to see some pics. Visiting the area last week of November, this is like a virtual scouting trip.
wait until we put the rest of the photos on I'm shire you will be amazed and will get some good in site of the area. was an excellent ride even with me dropping the Honda piece of shale moved and just took my front wheel with it but hey that's what this is all about no damages either way