The Klein Karoo Meander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff. Please do keep them coming. Glad you guys are home safe. One of these days we will have all the Intruders doing one.

Leonie said:
Great stuff. Please do keep them coming. Glad you guys are home safe. One of these days we will have all the Intruders doing one.
hi you glad to see you eventually decided to join in and start talking to us guys. yip agree one of thees days

At the top of the pass some fantastic rock formation .. but I see the outline of a certain Mal man.

jstn.jpg

The road turns to gravel and we have fun in the driffies.

3o9.JPG

kvqw.jpg

Little do we know ...

kuhr.jpg

47ur.jpg

It's hot, see the sheep?  ... about 30 of them in fact.

mmle.jpg

It's really a lekker road.

is9p.jpg

u55.JPG

l1rx.jpg

Due North of the KNP we find a narrow track that leads up to a Vodacom cell tower, cool photo op we figure.

0qs6.jpg

It's here that a Vodacom worker in a bakkie stops to ask us if we've seen any Lions. "Lions ... where? Out here? Ja man, two escaped yesterday and we are all looking for them" he says. Shit! ... we waste no time getting out of there.

z4i1.jpg

q2ko.jpg

We don't stop for 30k's but when we do it's alongside a nice spot with trees in a pond.

bwpm.jpg

pseg.jpg

We meander along ... at times doing just 70kph ... it's classic cruising this.

mir1.jpg

weiy.jpg

I can't help thinking about the contrasts, the millions of revolutions that old mill must have done to sustain life out here and then today we see vast amounts of water in many places.

kox5.jpg

8k3i.jpg

n9uq.jpg

For the STen owners note the 212km done with 3 bars remaining ... at 219 it went to half tank ... I love this damn bike more and more!

3v2p.jpg

We must never forget that others have toiled to make a living out here, this was where they wanted to be, it was their future at the time ... tough people indeed. We look and say "Ooh, and Aah" but what it must have really been like we have no clue ... I certainly don't.

3ky2.jpg

qdbw.jpg

ho0d.jpg

We're headed for Sutherland ... I like the place a lot. Maybe we'll see Jupiter again.

pp53.jpg

The Fraserburg - Sutherland road is a pleasure to be on.

s0q6.jpg

imoc.jpg

First time up there for me.

8g54.jpg

g0aw.jpg

SALT SALT! everyone's going on about SALT ...  we see no salt lying around here ... nowhere, at all.

zbjx.jpg

iaad.jpg

Too smart for it's own good ... it's all of 60m lower than indicated.

o063.jpg

Well, we were not to see Jupiter this time, apparently it was only visible from midnight onwards ... too bad, but we did meet Jurg's daughter Juanita, who now runs Kambrokind Guest House where we always stay.

o9uh.jpg

The 3rd Mrs. Isaacs if it's up to him ... luckily for Juanita she already taken.

vkvn.jpg

Today was not too much of a distance day as we take on the Ouberg Pass ... it starts off well.

tbqq.jpg

htyh.jpg

53s0.jpg

We pass a grader, well that's a good sign, right?

nfu0.jpg

But at the top ... it suddenly does not look so lekker anymore, the wind is blowing like hell up the pass, with rain chasing it from far away.

q14d.jpg

m5r7.jpg

We stop at the top ... but not for long as it does not get any easier thinking about it ... that damn yellow sign does not help either!

znnq.jpg

It's our first time down this Ouberg, may as well rock 'n roll then.

wsi5.jpg

t89y.jpg

ubcy.jpg

ie4v.jpg

It starts well enough, but it's just a matter of time as the rains approach.

zvad.jpg

xuek.jpg

g7dl.jpg

It would be excellent fun if it was not so bloody dangerous as more and more rain pushes in ... we have no choice but to continue downwards as there's no way we will be going up again soon enough.

3nvt.jpg

00ev.jpg

Allen takes it nice 'n slow ... but the weather worries me big time.

vsei.jpg

ik9.JPG

Aah shit, this is really slippery now and the worst section so far ... something makes me look back ...

0sgh.jpg

I see the AT on it's ear ... damnit! This might not be good news at all. I have to put a rock in front of the rear wheel to stop the heavy STen from slipping - the angle is steep enough for that to happen before I start walking up to Al.

gbwu.jpg

It was fortunate that I looked back or it might have been a hell of a walk.

961s.jpg

I have visions of fuel pissing out a moerse hole in the tank as the rocks here are vicious bastards ... he's taking it pretty well I think as I approach.

cdo7.jpg

I can see that he was just off the line to the left and TG nothing broken.

v0aa.JPG

14a1.jpg

93po.jpg

Nothing is funny about this at all but it breaks the tension and the realization of how close we have come to a serious fcuk-up as there has been few other vehicles down the pass ...

lic5.jpg

We right the AT and take stock ... no damage other than some scratches .. we are both stunned at our good fortune.

y62o.jpg

From here on it's easy going in comparison.  

z6my.jpg

Yerra cousin Allan. Have I not tought you how to stay up on a bike yet. Only kidding. That looks like such a jaul you guys had and next time you invite me I,m in.

Mooi fotos en daai paaie lyk darem maar lekker om te ry. :thumleft:

Lekker trip en goeie foties.  :thumleft:

Thanks Guys, comments appreciated.

We turn right for Lainsburg and through the Rooiberg towards our overnight, Matjiesvlei just outside Calitzdorp.

y0l1.jpg

nkt0.jpg

v9up.JPG

A lekker gravel road leads towards the Seweweekspoort Pass and the Gamkapoort Dam.

zvy4.jpg

npiu.jpg

We have plenty time so head for the dam through Boschluyskloof.

nt0n.jpg

uhis.jpg

0toj.jpg

Neither of us has been down here before so were not prepared for what a great ride it is ... or how far it is to the dam.

0my1.jpg

s6z.JPG

v63l.jpg

0n84.jpg

The Gamkapoort Dam initially looked like a great spot to camp but the (private) facilities leave much to be desired.

jc0h.jpg

9r0r.jpg

5ucf.jpg

To be honest for all of 3 minutes we contemplated camping here for the night we quickly decided to move on. This rock had come down whilst we were in the poort ... constant reminder of the dangers that lurk in steep terrain.

clsg.jpg

The livestock looked happy to be here too.

lxpo.jpg

We turn left into Seweweeks.

5ogt.jpg

gi1m.jpg

e5hv.jpg

The turn off to Matjiesvlei is about 5km's from Calitzdorp.

5zre.jpg

Excellent access road to it.

0s5g.jpg

We stay in what must have been a fantastic farm as the place dates from the 1820's and is still in the same family hands. It's neat and tidy, rustic with no electricity and a donkey that provides hot water 45mins after fire-up. The owners wife has provided last minute home made braai packs with more than we can eat ... and one of us can certainly eat so even I was impressed when there was padkos for tomorrow.

mo0n.jpg

ai9n.JPG

The farm house is set on the edge of a koppie overlooking the farm with the Gamkas River to the West, amazingly one can walk to Die Hel from here through the poort ... it's only 7km! As kids they used to do so regularly we are told.

7s7b.jpg

h6m6.jpg

3qf9.jpg

1tjr.jpg

ouzf.jpg

Unlike in Kokstad in our May trip to St. Lucia, the Honda joined the Yam under cover for the night.

mvt1.jpg

We leave the tranquil Matjiesvlei early, we only have 140km odd to do to Die Hel. It rained a little last night but not enough to convince us that it would continue ...

ew81.jpg

pbbg.jpg

We find a gem of a road that leads through Groenfontein to Kruisrivier.

5fyq.jpg

bw6a.jpg

We pass the Donkey Pub ... looks good but it's just 9.30am so we keep going.

ygy.JPG

It's a perfect road for a meander.

8x1w.jpg

fcia.jpg

3ia6.jpg

The next two shots are my favourites for this section.

jmsu.jpg

xcx9.JPG

We stop at a T- junction, I'm ahead so wait for Al to catch up ...

hk6y.jpg

othq.JPG

... but it's a strange sounding AT that can be heard coming along. Turns out it's a group of riders from various places near CT on a ride.

I chat to Senior HP2 a WD member whilst the others catch up.

2zd4.jpg

Soon they head off and we continue on towards the Swartberg Pass but not before spending quite awhile driving alongside the perimeter fence of The Swartberg Private Wildlife Estate.

jtdz.jpg

and so the trip continues well done so far bud keep it up

Gooi nog!  Lekker om foto's van jou eie "back yard" deur 'n ander se lens te sien - laat my soms wonder hoekom almal wat DS bikes ry nie in die Klein-Karoo bly nie... :peepwall: