2 Day Trip Through the Cederberg (10&11 December 2012)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And last but not least, DougC  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Doug1.jpg
    Doug1.jpg
    251.9 KB
  • Doug2.jpg
    Doug2.jpg
    237.4 KB
  • Doug3.jpg
    Doug3.jpg
    198.4 KB
  • Doug4.jpg
    Doug4.jpg
    188.7 KB
Oh, and Mambats thoughts on taking it easy ;D

Attachments

• Mambat5.jpg
    Mambat5.jpg
    207.2 KB
Thanks so much for the photos, Buff. And for all the effort you put into taking them.

Mambat said:
Hi BIO

Thanks again for an excellent RR!
The screen grabs are fantastic, I am definitely speaking to Santa about a GoPro!
It would have been great having one when following you on that high speed run!

Looking forward to the next ride together and your video uploads....

Cheers

Mambat

Sorry for only replying now,.... just got back late yesturday afternoon from another short (long way round >:D >:D) trip down to StruisBaai & back :ricky: Only checking had a chance to check in here now.

I promise you one thing for sure,..... getting an action camera will be one of the BSET things you will ever own ;) :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: I wouldn't mind getting a second one in my Christmas stocking >:D ;D ;D

Buff said:
Great RR, thanks Shaun  :thumleft:

I still haven't had time to put the video together but here's a few screen grabs to keep you interested.

I'll do them per rider. Some have a few more than others, sorry guys.

1st up Bring it On:

Thanks a lot Brett for those really Cool photos...... was that one you took from behind the bushes, the one where I was looking for you & couldn't find you along that section of road??

Shot for the photos Brett!

looking forward to the video  :thumleft:

Cheers

Mambat

Doug C said:
An unfortunate incident ...

I first hit the soft sand quite some metres before the place where the bike came to rest. The back wheel immediately started to slide out towards the edge of the road (I suspect I didn't have sufficient weight on the outside foot peg). I shifted my weight back slightly and more onto the left peg, whilst looking up and accelerating. The bike initially straightened a bit but with the extra weight on the rear carrier, and the depth of the sand, I couldn't recover sufficiently. The bike snaked, I lost control and went down hard - I ended up in the middle of the road. I'm convinced, though, that by taking the corrective action mentioned above, I was able to move past the immediate danger of going over the side of the road into the 'gorge'.

The KLR took a bit of a battering and so did I. It could have been far worse, however, and I am grateful I came away relatively unharmed.

Thanks, Shaun, for your kind words of encouragement!

Doug - it wasn't a pretty sight seeing you clearly in pain after the fall, I think you handled like pro and respect for getting back up and soldiering on!

It was great meeting and riding with you.

Thanks for a great ride together with a even greater bunch of guys. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Glad to see WC Dogs were well mannered and rode like there was no tomorrow. :imaposer: :imaposer:

I am back home after about 4 000km  round trip to Cape Town via the West Coast. Had absolutely no incidences - one or two very close calls but nothing to be concerned about.

I would look forward to riding with you guys anytime again in the future. :thumleft: :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky:

SuperDavexlv750r said:
Thanks for a great ride together with a even greater bunch of guys. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Glad to see WC Dogs were well mannered and rode like there was no tomorrow. :imaposer: :imaposer:

I am back home after about 4 000km  round trip to Cape Town via the West Coast. Had absolutely no incidences - one or two very close calls >:D (I know of one of them... :pot: ;D) but nothing to be concerned about.

I would look forward to riding with you guys anytime again in the future. :thumleft: :thumleft: :ricky: :ricky:

Thanks for that update Dave :thumleft: Glad to hear you made it safe & sound back home. Thanks a lot for the assistance you gave with Doug's fall. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Great RR, really enjoyed that.  I've ridden a couple of those roads on my way up to Namibia from Cape Town.  Would love to explore the area more.

One question:  What's with the orange covers over the headlights?

Three Dawg said:
Great RR, really enjoyed that.  I've ridden a couple of those roads on my way up to Namibia from Cape Town.  Would love to explore the area more.

One question:  What's with the orange covers over the headlights?

:laughing4: :laughing4: Down here in the Cape,....we like to be as visible as possible ;D

Thanks for taking the time to go through the RR & to share in the Gr8 experience we had ;) :thumleft:

Wow now this RR I really enjoyed reading and thanks for sharing all the awesome photos  :thumleft:

Dirt Junkie said:
Wow now this RR I really enjoyed reading and thanks for sharing all the awesome photos  :thumleft:

Thanks a lot for that ;) :thumleft: Glad you enjoyed it.

SuperDavexlv750r said:
Doug C said:
An unfortunate incident ...

I first hit the soft sand quite some metres before the place where the bike came to rest. The back wheel immediately started to slide out towards the edge of the road (I suspect I didn't have sufficient weight on the outside foot peg). I shifted my weight back slightly and more onto the left peg, whilst looking up and accelerating. The bike initially straightened a bit but with the extra weight on the rear carrier, and the depth of the sand, I couldn't recover sufficiently. The bike snaked, I lost control and went down hard - I ended up in the middle of the road. I'm convinced, though, that by taking the corrective action mentioned above, I was able to move past the immediate danger of going over the side of the road into the 'gorge'.

The KLR took a bit of a battering and so did I. It could have been far worse, however, and I am grateful I came away relatively unharmed.

Thanks, Shaun, for your kind words of encouragement!

Doug - it wasn't a pretty sight seeing you clearly in pain after the fall, I think you handled like pro and respect for getting back up and soldiering on!

It was great meeting and riding with you.

Many thanks, Dave. I greatly appreciated your help and encouragement at the scene of the incident.

I am glad you are safely home. How special it is that you were able to undertake such a trip.

SuperDavexlv750r said:
Its very special.

I could do this for a living :ricky:

I have to agree with you 100% on that :ricky: :ricky: :thumleft:

Enjoyed it very much. As always, the effort in putting an RR like this together is much appreciated.

jupiter said:
Enjoyed it very much. As always, the effort in putting an RR like this together is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for that. ;) :thumleft:

Awesome ride report guys. Lots of content and pictures (there goes my bandwidth) - thanks for taking the time to share!

@Bring It On - Need to ask about your experience with that tankbag. Looks like you've been using that setup for a while and seem to like it... Have exactly the same bag, but now leave it home for dirt rides. It seems to get in the way when standing and has come loose/unclipped itself on 2 occasions. What am I doing wrong, or have you just gotten used to it?

My apologies if this is derailing the RR, you're welcome to reply via PM too.

Latest posts