Another Great Overberg ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice ride all together but the waiting for the "technical crew" was too long. Esp. at the second wait. I did not know how easy and fast it would have been to just carry on back to Dassiesfontein not being familiar with the area and stood and waited while the folks played with the coconuts ;D

Not sure if all others enjoy riding in these huge groups (?) and I think it has been discussed before but can't remembver the outcome. It's obviously a tad more to organise but I think it would be more enjoyable to split groups of that size. Less dust (my eyes are still sore, last nght felt like arc eyes :-\, less waiting.
Just my shit :D

lecap said:
Nice ride all together but the waiting for the "technical crew" was too long. Esp. at the second wait. I did not know how easy and fast it would have been to just carry on back to Dassiesfontein not being familiar with the area and stood and waited while the folks played with the coconuts ;D

Not sure if all others enjoy riding in these huge groups (?) and I think it has been discussed before but can't remembver the outcome. It's obviously a tad more to organise but I think it would be more enjoyable to split groups of that size. Less dust (my eyes are still sore, last nght felt like arc eyes :-\, less waiting.

I kinda agree with you there Lecap.

We did wait to long at the second tech section. But with out rides you must always realise that things can go wrong. Bikes break, flat wheels people may fall. When this happens you will have to wait/help. These are all things that is part of riding. The point I am making is when riding in groups you need to consider the other riders and be patient.

If you don't like the waiting then you should ride alone. The dust could be sorted if you just keep a reasonable distance between you and the rider in-front. Buy a nice Wilddog buff and pull that over your mouth and nose under the helmet it helps alot.  :thumleft:

I did try something new by splitting the group into two for the tech stuff. If all went perfect it should have worked well. But unfortunately at the second one people did get stuck and took 45 min longer then expected. For me it was nice as I got to chat with lots of nice like minded people and just enjoyed there company.

I think I will start a thread with a poll and see if we could get some consensus on what type of rides should be arranged to keep the majority happy. :thumleft:

Thanks for being honest Lecap.  :thumleft:

Just to give an idea of how I see a out ride in groups.

1: It is a time to ride together with good friends. Meet and make new friends.
2: You are safer riding in a group.
3: You get to see places you generally wouldn't go ride alone.
4: You don't gave to worry about planning anything it is all done. Just rock-up and ride.
5: If you are a newer rider you would most likely get a chance to push you skill level a little to better your abilities. There is always good advice to be found in group rides.

To me riding with others is great fun and the little dust and waiting is nothing.

I enjoyed the wait coz I got to talk kak. Its kinda my thing  ::)

And I got to ride Wes' Husky 610... Everybody was waiting for me to pull a wheelie, but I refrained, respect for others stuffs & all... (Actually it was just too limp to lift the front... :evil6:) Just kidding Wes...

Its a very lekker bike. I must say I could easily be converted by that 6th gear... And the brakes are awesome!!! MAde mine feel positively wooden... Time for braided hoses, I guess...  :-\

And Wes, open that airbox, ma charna... You wont regret it... :evil4:

Thanks for the ride, Soutie :thumleft:

Agree with you RovRat, for me the social is the nicest part of any ride, and yesterday's wait under those lovely shady trees for the guys who got stuck on the technical section was the best part of my day.  :mwink:

How nice it was to be out and about in beautiful scenery , inhaling fresh air , watching Bus do magic with his bike , meeting new interesting people like Toktokkie, and RooiPoot ,, and chatting and laughing with old friends like Nigel X, Isitututu , Robin Brown, Andy etc , knowing that more riding is coming . I mean what could possible be nicer  ?  :thumleft: :thumleft:

R-O-V-Rat said:
Just to give an idea of how I see a out ride in groups.

1: It is a time to ride together with good friends. Meet and make new friends.
2: You are safer riding in a group.
3: You get to see places you generally wouldn't go ride alone.
4: You don't gave to worry about planning anything it is all done. Just rock-up and ride.
5: If you are a newer rider you would most likely get a chance to push you skill level a little to better your abilities. There is always good advice to be found in group rides.

To me riding with others is great fun and the little dust and waiting is nothing.

Agree with you RovRat. I enjoy chatting to and meeting other WD's.
One question that I have, the route that we rode yesterday was it all on public roads or where some of them private farm roads that are normally not open to us?
I enjoyed the route very much.

What an awesome day! the guys in the technical section who kept you waiting were pushing bikes up steep hills and swearing alot, so don't worry, they had a worse time than you okes waiting in the shade.

I REALLY tested out my new impact rig. That thing works a treat.

What an amazing area to ride in. Wes's husky's alright, i s'pose :) See you all on the next one.

Thanks to all. It turned out to be a great day with great friends. Well if we have to wait then so what. It makes fro plenty of time to swop stories.

Actually for such a big group RovRat you did a great job. It worked well that you split it up and had a sedate but very pretty ride for the big group ,  and yet also catered for the smaller group who wanted to do technical riding . And you were very clear in the Planning a Ride thread on what was to be expected , so those of us who read the thread knew what to expect. I suspect the people who came short , either on experience or on patience , did not read the thread properly.

Might be a good idea on future rides to give another thorough briefing to the group before we leave to cater for those who might not have read the Planning a Ride thread  , but other than that the ride was lekker , and catered to everyone , thanks for keeping us social and safe  :thumleft:

lecap said:

Stop being full off k@k German!! Have a spoon of cement and harden the f@ck up!!!  :ricky:

Some of the dogs will always be puppies  :deal: Cant alway keep them happy ???

What ever negative there is, I am sure the positives are in the majority  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Thanx again ROVRAT for a great outride and hope you do it again, for the amount of riders that joined, just shows how much everyone whats to have a lekka ride with a gr8t bunch of people :3some:

isiTututu said:
Yep, I think we have consensus here. Group rides aren't really my thing either, and I know that going on a group ride means that I will eat dust, have to ride at the speed of everyone else, and just generally go with the flow. So when I do go on these things, it is more for the social aspect than for the ride itself. An added bonus is if I get introduced to a road that I haven't ridden before.

Thanks R-O-V Rat, you did good! It was a lekker day, and you can't be blamed for having too many friends   ;)

Did you read what NISMARK said!!  :pot:

I got a lovely track set out for you. We get 3 XT660R and 3 GS800 and see who fall's the most.  :deal:

NISMARK said:
Stop being full off k@k German!! Have a spoon of cement and harden the f@ck up!!!  :ricky:

bahahahahahahahahhahahaha  :imaposer:

i would've gotten bored waiting that long too though.

me and Nismark kept ourselves busy pushing bikes up a vark steep hill.

Kamaan guys, this is a ride report, not a debate on how a ride should go.

We need more pics.

:3some:

R-O-V-Rat said:
isiTututu said:
Yep, I think we have consensus here. Group rides aren't really my thing either, and I know that going on a group ride means that I will eat dust, have to ride at the speed of everyone else, and just generally go with the flow. So when I do go on these things, it is more for the social aspect than for the ride itself. An added bonus is if I get introduced to a road that I haven't ridden before.

Thanks R-O-V Rat, you did good! It was a lekker day, and you can't be blamed for having too many friends   ;)

Did you read what NISMARK said!!  :pot:

I got a lovely track set out for you. We get 3 XT660R and 3 GS800 and see who fall's the most.  :deal:

I hope no-one read this wrong!  

I always enjoy riding with Isi. And he never complains. Just pulling his leg!

The xt660-800 comment is just to stirr!! He doesn't fall, that is the problem.  :thumleft:

Very nice, but eish that dust. We rode a lot of dirt up here this weekend, and poor Cave Girl had to sit in my dustcloud for many kilos.

Nice to see such a large group having a bit of fun.  :thumleft:

enige idee wanneer die volgende ride gaan wees en waar ??? en "Stop being full off k@k German!! Have a spoon of cement and harden the f@ck up!!!  " was kark snaaks goeie een Generaal, laat weet maar as iemand 'n plan of 2 of 3 het vir nog 'n lekker dag sodat ek darm 1 kan bywoon... :thumleft:

lecap said:

Feel a little guilty that people had to wait so long at the second technical section. Oh well, lessons learnt. Let's move on.

Thanks for a great day out in the overberg. Really enjoyed the ride, in the comfort zone and out of it but keeping the black bits pointing down does wonders for the confidence.  ;D
Doing the old Botriver pass and finding it easygoing after my last crashing incident on it was just a cherry on the top.

Thanks for all the planning and riding the route beforehand to check it is all good to go, this takes time, effort and money that I think we forget about sometimes.

Maybe next time take a loud hailer for those with cloth ears!  :pot:

Chilling and chatting under the trees was a good way to meet other WD's which you dont do much of inside your own helmet on the ride. 
It was amazing seeing the guys on the KTM going up that hill, pillion and rider looked like they were dancing on those pegs, poetry in motion! :cheers: :salut:

Thanks R-O-V-Rat, look forward to the next ride with you.