Never a dull moment in Kzn- 2 fractures and a black mamba..............UPDATED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Badger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
We met at Ryder in Hillcrest at 7 for departure at 7h30.

I invited  customers from Ryder as well as all wild dogs and what a turnout it was. 19 bikes in total with two bikes carrying pillions.

6 x Adv , 1 x Gs’s(1200), 4 x GS800’s , 2x 650 Dakar’s , 1 x 650 GS , 1 x xT660z , 2 x 950 Ktm’s , 1 x Ktm 690  and 1 x Klr.

The dogs where EssBee and Michelle, GundaGunda, 777 , Wildoc , JonW, Lamo and myself and Fran.

We rode through Botha’s Hill and dropped into the Valley of a Thousand hills. We had some steep downs on some slippery surfaces. The views where spectacular and the day perfect.

We turned onto a nice single path next to the Inanda river and the solo faster guys went on ahead while the pillions and slower riders brought up the rear. We had the first stop on some Gnice(Thanks Peter) then proceeded towards Nagel Dam.

On one of the downs Gunda had an off and unfortunately broke his left thumb. Luckily we had Leon from Pmb who is a doctor and he strapped Peters thumb with duct tape and he managed to ride back to hospital on his own. Hope you heal fast Gunda.

We then headed back towards Inanda dam and stopped on Mtata mountain overlooking Inanda Dam. From there we headed towards Butlers Farm.

Along the way Fran and I rode past a Black Mamba trying to cross the road and as I passed it it struck at our bike………….Fran and I  shat ourselves. Never a dull moment in the valley.

Unfortunately, Grant on a 800GS tangled with a grassy middle manetjie and broke his leg in two places. The ambo was with us within 30 min and he is in Westville hospital. Heal fast Grant.

Other than the mishaps it was great to be out in the Valley for the day.

Thanks to everyone who made it and to JonW and Wilddoc for coming down from Hilton.

Attachments

• Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 019.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 019.jpg
    67.5 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 029.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 029.jpg
    84 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 033.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 033.jpg
    73.3 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 037.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 037.jpg
    82.3 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 013.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 013.jpg
    154.1 KB
Some more............

Attachments

• Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 055.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 055.jpg
    127.4 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 054.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 054.jpg
    140.8 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 046.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 046.jpg
    137.4 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 044.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 044.jpg
    140.2 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 039.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 039.jpg
    122.6 KB
Simon and Michelle , Craig and Wildoc.

First stop on the Granite (Gnice thanks to Gunda)

Attachments

• Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 062.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 062.jpg
    107.2 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 063.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 063.jpg
    122.3 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 057.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 057.jpg
    115.4 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 076.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 076.jpg
    130.4 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 089.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 089.jpg
    94.5 KB
Awesome roads and some fooling around............... :thumleft:

Attachments

• Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 057.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 057.jpg
    115.4 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 106.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 106.jpg
    110 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 102.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 102.jpg
    89 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 099.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 099.jpg
    72.7 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 095.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 095.jpg
    105.7 KB
And some more............

Thanks again to JonW and Leon coming down from Hilton, good to have you with us.

Attachments

• Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 123.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 123.jpg
    64.7 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 132.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 132.jpg
    82.9 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 137.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 137.jpg
    61.9 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 149.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 149.jpg
    89.7 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 160.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 160.jpg
    94.2 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 166.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 166.jpg
    130.3 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 171.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 171.jpg
    117.1 KB
WOW!!!! Our in-house roving photographer just rocks!!!!! Fran you are a star!!!!!!! Thanks a mill......oh...and of course your significant other.....thanks Jeff...once again.

ps.....Can we re-name it...."Valley of a thousand fractures"...????? >:D

Hectic stuff!  And the Grant on my ride broke a collar bone and several ribs.  Not a good day to be called Grant!
Heal soon guys.

wilddoc said:
It was great to join you all

It was great to have you along doc, and thanks for your help and very accurate diagnosis.  ;D

And thanks to all the dogs for your help and support.

Was a lekka ride until I lost it on the gravelly descent - I just gotta get those right.

But it seems I will have about six weeks in a cast just to think about it  :(

My only pic - The sawbones doc says it is an impacted fracture and there is about 9mm of shortening of the bone at the base of the thumb.

I am going in tomorrow for an op to have it either wired or plated depending on what he finds when he goes in - He also has to repair a tear in my right knee, but he has to wait for the swelling to go down before he can cut.

Attachments

• leftHand.jpg
    leftHand.jpg
    29.5 KB
Crossed-up said:
Hectic stuff!  And the Grant on my ride broke a collar bone and several ribs.  Not a good day to be called Grant!
Heal soon guys.
:eek: :eek:...two days AFTER Friday 13th!!!

Eeeeekk...hope everyone heals well!!

But...our Grants off was really really unlucky....we've all gotten a tad crossed up on a middle-mannetjie at some stage of our lives and prob fallen...but he must have just had his leg in the wrong place at the wrong time, wrong angle etc etc ....and snap. He said he heard it....Bllllliksem! :eek: wearing those 50/50 boots....mmmmm.....?

GG....is the tear in your knee from today too?!?!?!?

Also...where is the fracture exactly in the thumb....see pic.

Sorry mate! Hope you heal quick!!!!

Attachments

• leftHand.jpg
    leftHand.jpg
    28.7 KB
EssBee said:
GG....is the tear in your knee from today too?!?!?!?

Also...where is the fracture exactly in the thumb....see pic.

Sorry mate! Hope you heal quick!!!!

Yup - I have had knee problems for quite a while - that's why I can't stand on the pegs any more, but it seems I opened another tear today.

The fracture is "push in" type - the thin part of the bone is pushed into the thick end bit, and has pushed it open.

The base of the thumb bone is supposed to look like the other fingers.

Eish.....bummer...let us know what hosp. you're in....

EssBee said:
WOW!!!! Our in-house roving photographer just rocks!!!!! Fran you are a star!!!!!!! Thanks a mill......oh...and of course your significant other.....thanks Jeff...once again.

Pleasure Simon, good to have you and Michelle out in the bush again......and on a GS. Yes , Fran impresses me every ride.

ps.....Can we re-name it...."Valley of a thousand fractures"...????? >:D

Hahahaha good one. Now I'm really starting to get a complex.......

GundaGunda said:
wilddoc said:
It was great to join you all

It was great to have you along doc, and thanks for your help and very accurate diagnosis.  ;D

And thanks to all the dogs for your help and support.

Was a lekka ride until I lost it on the gravelly descent - I just gotta get those right.

But it seems I will have about six weeks in a cast just to think about it  :(

My only pic - The sawbones doc says it is an impacted fracture and there is about 9mm of shortening of the bone at the base of the thumb.

I am going in tomorrow for an op to have it either wired or plated depending on what he finds when he goes in - He also has to repair a tear in my right knee, but he has to wait for the swelling to go down before he can cut.

Aaaahhh sorry to hear Peter.......fran and I hope you feel better soon and mend fast. Please sms me details of where you will be.

Crossed-up said:
Hectic stuff!  And the Grant on my ride broke a collar bone and several ribs.  Not a good day to be called Grant!
Heal soon guys.
Hectic hey Crossed-up.......... wish him speedy recovery from us please.

Lekker ride all. Sorry to hear about the injuries. Peter - let us know which hospital and if we can do anything to help.

JonW and Lamo up a little climb........ :thumleft:

Attachments

• Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 044.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 044.jpg
    140.2 KB
  • Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 052.jpg
    Sunday 15th Ryder Ride 052.jpg
    147.9 KB
nice eventful ride,

must say this time of year my biggest fear is snakes. Hate the things but seem to attract them when on the bike. Got attract by a mos. spitting cobra 3 years ago, drive past a killed rinkhals two weeks ago, and over easter we took the RS to parys, rode over another mos. spitting cobra just before the N4 offramp heading to Krugersdorp. will MX Boots stop puffadder fangs ? i will rather not think about it.

Good luck Gunda !

Nice RR guys. Gr8 photos too :thumleft: :thumleft:

Sorry to hear about the "Downs" & "Brokken Bones". Hope you guys heal soon. ;)