Never a dull moment in Kzn- 2 fractures and a black mamba..............UPDATED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Peter glad to see you making progress , all the best

GundaGunda said:
Exercise one involves two beer mugs, the one has a thick pen, a thinner pen, and a pencil in it. I have to pick out the thick pen and move it between the mugs with thumb and index finger ten times, and then repeat for the thinner pen and then pencil.

Damn - If the beer mugs had beer in - it would be a great way to exercise - in fact I do it regularly.

Glad to hear progress is being made - I hope you will be back on the bike soonest.

777 said:

Thanks !!

BabyBeemer said:
. . . .
Damn - If the beer mugs had beer in - it would be a great way to exercise - in fact I do it regularly.
. . .

Thanks.

I asked the handmaiden that, but she said they gotta be empty - meanie  :(

;D

GundaGunda said:
777 said:

Thanks !!

BabyBeemer said:
. . . .
. . .

Thanks.

I asked the handmaiden that, but she said they gotta be empty - meanie  :(

;D

When I smashed my wrist, after 3 months of external fixation couldnt pick up an empty glass never mind a mug  8)

Welsh said:
. . . .
When I smashed my wrist, after 3 months of external fixation couldnt pick up an empty glass never mind a mug  8)

Eish. Reminder to self to buy straws. But hey, one handed beer drinking is no problem  ;D

GundaGunda said:
Welsh said:
. . . .

Eish. Reminder to self to buy straws. But hey, one handed beer drinking is no problem  ;D

Gunda I had 3 months of "sleeping' with my wrist suspended from a hook in the ceiling, nooooot fun i dont sleep well flat on my back, my spine doent like it  8)

Okay, a few more steps forward.

Went to see SawBones today and he says the hand is coming along well - the stitches from the pin-removal have come out and the swelling is down enough to get my gloves on.

I can now even pick my nose with thumb and pinkie - most of the mobility is back.

He says the bone has knitted well enough to be able to hold the handlebars without risk of breaking the bone - provided I don't fall again.

I still have no feeling in the outer-half of the thumb - the side nerve was crushed. This may never come back, but it's no big deal in my life.

He says it was like a dentist's root-canal treatment.  - a "Thumb-canal" ?

Strange that a break to a thumb can cause so much grief, but SawBones says the human thumb is one of the bodies' most complex, nerve and tendon rich structures, and I did an excellent job of smashing it.

So the bike is at the dealer for some TLC - general inspection, brake lever straightened, wheels re-aligned and a new chain and sprockets which needed replacing. 

I may get brave over the weekend and take a tar ride up the coast and try not to fall off.

GundaGunda said:
I may get brave over the weekend and take a tar ride up the coast and try not to fall off.

good to hear you're on the mend Gunda.
remember: falling off is the least cool thing you can do on a bike.

Ganjora said:
. . .
good to hear you're on the mend Gunda.
remember: falling off is the least cool thing you can do on a bike.

Thanks D. Then I must be one of the forum's most uncool riders.  :(

Good to hear GG! :thumleft:

Pity to have sooo much kark from such a trivial off.... :'(

Hope to make some dust with you again soon-ish :mwink:

EssBee said:
Good to hear GG! :thumleft:

Pity to have sooo much kark from such a trivial off.... :'(

Hope to make some dust with you again soon-ish :mwink:

Thanks S.

You are so right. This is not the worst off I have ever had - I guess the wrong digit at the wrong place at the wrong time and the result is 9 weeks of eina and inconvenience. 

I look forward to making some dust. What I am uncertain of is what knock my confidence has taken. That scares me.

Am I gonna think of the pain and inconvenience next time I face a gravelly descent and lock the bike up again ?

Who knows?

GundaGunda said:
I look forward to making some dust. What I am uncertain of is what knock my confidence has taken. That scares me.

same principle as when you get thrown off a horse.
calmy walk up to the horse,  ans kick the living daylights out of it.
that'll teach it a lesson...

GundaGunda said:

Am I gonna think of the pain and inconvenience next time I face a gravelly descent and lock the bike up again ?

Who knows?

My two cents ... go straight to Country Trax and do their "Weekend offroad course for dual sport bikes"

According to their website:

"The course is great for anyone lacking a bit of confidence, but it's especially great to get rid of bad habits that may have accumulated over years of self-taught riding! After completing this course successfully, you will be able to enjoy the wonders of dual-sport riding anytime, anywhere!

Things you will learn on the course:

* Important theory on off-road riding and motorcycling in general.
* In-depth discussions on protective clothing, tyre pressure, trouble shooting etc.
* General bike maintenance.
* Balance exercises.
* Overcoming obstacles such as thick sand, water, logs & holes in the road, uphills & downhills etc.
* Emergency braking."

Peter, dont think about it too much..........Just get on and ride and you will be fine. :thumleft:

Chat on Saturday more.

shesha said:
. . . .
My two cents ... go straight to Country Trax and do their "Weekend offroad course for dual sport bikes"
. . . .

Did that a few years ago on my KLE and loved it - If I get my knees sorted so I can stand on the pegs again I might do it again on the 660Z .

The onnies don't teach you to ride down in the saddle.