New riders be careful - Don't turn in front of approaching cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain jack

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Yesterday a new rider was following his mom in her car on his new bike (big boy). She turned right across two lanes of approaching traffic, and he followed, straight in front  of a golf that hit him side on at about 50km/h.

My wife was second dr on site as right outside our house. the first dr was a  (pede) runner, then an anaesthetist arrived, followed by a GP with grab bag. So he had four dr's inside of ten minutes.

Car hit him on the left, so he is extremely lucky only his lower leg is broken as he could easily have lost it. Then his right arm is broken as well.

The car driver said he saw the bike, saw it slow down and then it sped up straight in front of him. Both airbags deployed.

I think the guy was focused on his mom in the car in front and didn't have full situational awareness. When she crossed the traffic he didn't look properly and probably had that feeling of 'I don't want to get left behind". I suppose a kind of target fixation.

At least he's ok, but I'm sure there will be surgery on that leg.......